Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Win10 Is a nmassive piece of s***

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

When you set up Windows 10 you have two options a MS account or a Local account (you can have a password if you want or not) Getting anything from the Microsoft store - Again Often people just click next, and don't actually see the option to ONLY sign into one account Eg: Web mail, calendar. What will have happened if its suddenly asking for a MS log in is someone will have set it to do that.

Its a SIMPLE fix, change back to a Local account --Problem solved, no trickery or hidden hacks, again its knowing your OS.
    No need to be snarky.
    I did set it up that way in the first place.
    I did change it back. Thats not the point. How dare it assume I want this crap to happen because I put a bloody game on. A game not made by MS in the first place, a game that was fine until she wanted the thing on a Win10 machine.

Knowing the O/S, yes I am finding out I hate the thing and am never going to own it myself. I did look into it, some, back when, and really didn't want to know it.

DOS, which was tiny, sat there doing nothing at all until fed a command. Marvelous.

And no I didn't update the version as you suggested, having had a read on geekzone, I'm glad I didn't. And will not.

Remember this is HIS PC, he will have even more of a tantrum about it than even me.
    I did warn him, I did suggest consoles...but there you go.

You know, they say old people get left behind and lose it with technology, I think some of that is remembering how it was and not actually being excited about the new ideas. Not a lack of ability. Whereas the young never knew any different and don't see the issue.

1984 - huh, 2017, he was just a bit early with his book date.
    Accept and become one with the borg one geekzone user said.

Well no thanks. I'll give it a miss
    wipe your paws.

Actually that's it really.

It started because we used to feed coins into a machine all the time.
    And so a PC was bought. Way back when.

It was a toy, until one day it broke. It was fixed at some enormous cost.
    And I thought, what? Why don't I do that next time.

So I did. And it was fun.

Things changed, but I could see they were helpful and made things more fun.
    We could stop putting pieces of paper into a box and waiting days or weeks for someone to receive our info. We could easily check on products, pricing and buy them without actually going anywhere. We could throw away the chequebook and stop standing in queues.

We could communicate with people overseas easily and freely.

We could toss the pen and ledger book and have the program assist with our P&Ls.
    And we could play happily, in our rooms, with or without someone else, without it costing us heaps in coins, at any time of day or night.

The changes were fun, and I bought them all to learn the ins and outs of them.

But now it isn't fun. I find I don't care, I don't want to spend hours messing about with required sw accounts and waiting on updates to play a bloody game.
    (Steam)
    And finding the "improvement" to the perfectly functioning game then breaks it and you have to wait on the fix to be fixed to resume.

I can't find a need to be connected to the web 24/7, I can't find a reason for half the new toys (fitbits). I find the idea of checking on movements when you are supposedly out having fun crazy. I used to run around, ride horses, walk in the bush and play outdoor things without keeping track of whether it was exercise or not.
    Now I am supposed to, and probably take photos and upload them for admiration or scorn on public noticeboards.

SHould I cook something it must be stuck on a webpage also.

I must have some corporation track my activities and tell me what and when, I should seek approval from others all the time, a I should not speak to people physically but instead put up notices.

And so on.

I have a friend, still doing IT at Akld UNi, 20 something years now. She recently told me she has gone Apple in her house. All of it. PCs, phones, whatever.

I wondered why, she was never an Apple person, it was all a bit fanboy and overpriced. But I am starting to sere why now.
    She's over it.

Likewise one of my sons friends. never did go Windows, was always a Linux (or unix) person.
    Well, guess I might join him.

I don't work as a tech anymore, I find I don't really want to either now. This was not something I wanted to do, and this time, for the first time, it wasn't fun.
    It was annoying and a pain.

So I don't need to care. Mine can stay as is for now. When it dies, well, then Linux. It will be a new learning curve, but that never bothered me, so long as it was FUN.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    No need to be snarky.
    I did set it up that way in the first place.
    I did change it back. Thats not the point. How dare it assume I want this crap to happen because I put a bloody game on. A game not made by MS in the first place, a game that was fine until she wanted the thing on a Win10 machine.
    Not being Snarky at all, Stating truths, MANY people wont bother learning something new then it bites then in the butt. Same old story, head in sand don't want to know then complain when things change that's not understood.

AS others have said, they don't have problems once learnt, so what does that leave ??

The operator.

If you get games from the store you sometimes need an account, games out side of the store -- Its not MS fault or W10 that they insist you need an account.

Minecraft -- Just looked you can get it without using the W10 store, what it does say is
    This edition supports user-created skins and comes with a FREE CODE for Minecraft on Windows 10, too!
    So the creators of Minecraft have opted to use a W10 account, Blame them.

NEVER yet seen when the account changes to a MS account on its own, at some point someone clicked or agreed to something. ( Eg> Installing Minecraft requiring an account from the creators of Minecraft)

Remember the old saying from your customers "no one touched anything" ?? Yet we all know someone did something
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-12-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    Which is why I'm sticking with Windows and not moving to Linux.
    Well if you can drive Win XP or Win7 you would have no trouble with Linux Mint.

Itís Win10 where all the trouble starts.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Its not MS fault or W10 that they insist you need an account.

Minecraft -- Just looked you can get it without using the W10 store, what it does say is This edition supports user-created skins and comes with a FREE CODE for Minecraft on Windows 10, too!
    Yes, and if you try it it comes up Sorry, run out of codes. Redirects you to MS store. You don't think I'm that thick do you? I guess you do.
    Big discussions all over Minecraft forums about how this has been the case for ages, and no codes, tough luck.

So I bought it. Again.
    And had to do so via MS store, which insisted I then must have a MS account.

See? It's NOT ignorance of this process, it's irritation at the need to, just so she can play on daddies Win10 PC.
    Which then, helpfully, insisted we login to Windows with this MS store account. Right. Of course. naturally.

As I said, over it, no longer care. Bugger Windows.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    And had to do so via MS store, which insisted I then must have a MS account.

See? It's NOT ignorance of this process, it's irritation at the need to, just so she can play on daddies Win10 PC.
    Which then, helpfully, insisted we login to Windows with this MS store account. Right. Of course. naturally.

As I said, over it, no longer care. Bugger Windows.
    For gods sake get over it the world moves on, to bad if you don't like change Just about everything you have to have an account to buy stuff on line, try buying anything from Amazon, Wish, AliExpress, fishpond, Grabone (just to name a few - the list is endless) with out having an account, wont happen.

Why make such a fuss over something that takes a few seconds to sort - talk abut drama over nothing.

Amazon, Aliexpress etc don't suddenly change your windows PC login.
    wipe your paws.

You do release that when you change to Linux you'll need to enter a password for everything that requires changes, unless you alter the system to do other wise. It has updates as well, and problems, they change things around on different distros / Builds.

Cant see the problem with changing the account type in W10, simple enough and takes a few seconds, longest time is the reboot, and if the PC is quick enough then that as well is less than 30 seconds. Simple case of Knowing your OS and how things work, much like knowing an earlier version.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Well if you can drive Win XP or Win7 you would have no trouble with Linux Mint. Itís Win10 where all the trouble starts.
    Nah, only if you have an unreasonable grudge against Microsoft.
    Last edited by pcuser42; 18-12-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Computer Tech

Actually Microsoft do own Minecraft now, they bought it a while back.