Page 1 of 25 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Win10 Is a nmassive piece of s***

I utterly hate and detest Windows 10.
    Examples:

His TV has speakers. he has separate speakers with a sub, that's what he uses, better quality.
    But no Windows keeps making the TV speakers default.
    I change it back, no it changes it again.
    I disabled the stupid TV speakers in the end. But it's iffy the slightest thing and it wants to put it back.

Second: His daughters game - Minecraft.
    This was not an issue on my PC, download it, login (with her chosen login) and play.
    Win10, oh no, must got to MS store (why? It's not made by them!!)

So to do that, must have a MS login (something related to Xbox).
    OK, do all this incredible annoyance, one of those you must have the ridiculous password, special characters and all sorts.
    Give your life details (I Can't remember now cause I made it up, not my real one)

Fine, finally get the thing installed on his PC and switch off last night.
    This morning, boot up and what?!!! The login to Windows (which I had disabled so he didn't have one at all before ) is now the MS account login.
    How do I cancel this? Oh you can't...you can change password is all.

So OK, look up the proper get around it method, and succeed. It's not really gone, it's a workaround.

I hate workarounds, it's dirty.

There's heaps of this sort of rubbish built in.
    You do one thing and next thing it's changed the whole setup.

Drives you nuts.

No wonder people need techs, the thing ends up so messed up, I'm not surprised they have no idea what to do.
    As it is I've taught GD to do the sound thing now, in case it comes back so I don't have to go in and mess with it again.
    Not to mention her Minecraft, now she must use the email I attached to the MS store on it...well, on daddies PC anyway, on mine it still allows her to use her username.

Insane.
    All because of gaming.

I have to say, when my hardware dies, I';m going Linux, bugger this.
    wipe your paws.

Default Re: Win10 Is a nmassive piece of s***

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    I utterly hate and detest Windows 10.
    Examples:

His TV has speakers. he has separate speakers with a sub, that's what he uses, better quality.
    But no Windows keeps making the TV speakers default.
    I change it back, no it changes it again.
    I disabled the stupid TV speakers in the end. But it's iffy the slightest thing and it wants to put it back.
    I have 3 seperate audio devices connected to my PC, (incl a TV) and have never had an issue with Windows changing a default device without me asking, only situation is when connecting a TV for the first time, generally you're going to want that to be the output (think of a laptop for example) but changing the device back once is enough for Windows to remember that is how you want it in the future. Seems to work a lot better than Win7.

You've definitely got the correct audio drivers installed?

Second: His daughters game - Minecraft.
    This was not an issue on my PC, download it, login (with her chosen login) and play.
    Win10, oh no, must got to MS store (why? It's not made by them!!)

So to do that, must have a MS login (something related to Xbox).
    OK, do all this incredible annoyance, one of those you must have the ridiculous password, special characters and all sorts.
    Give your life details (I Can't remember now cause I made it up, not my real one)

Fine, finally get the thing installed on his PC and switch off last night.
    This morning, boot up and what?!!! The login to Windows (which I had disabled so he didn't have one at all before ) is now the MS account login.
    How do I cancel this? Oh you can't...you can change password is all.
    The requirement to use the store for some things can be annoying, but it's just a Microsoft account. Most people tend to already have one. The requirements for setting the account up are no different from any other online account. Email address, phone number for security, DOB. At no point do they force you to set the whole computer up with a MS account. There is always an option to 'sign into just this app' when setting up the store itself, or a game/app that you've downloaded.

There's heaps of this sort of rubbish built in.
    The games etc that come pre-installed - just pop into apps and features and remove what you don't want. Takes less than a minute.

I personally love 10. It runs really nicely, there are a lot of very handy changes that they've made. When I go back to 7 now, I find I'm a lot slower navigating around in general.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

no no no, its a thing of beauty, a true Rue Goldberg setup

Want to disable Winupdates, to gain some control, where you cant have Winupdates downloading 3Gb or installing unexpectedly...
    simple, disable the Service.
    But no. Windows will re-enable the service, because MS knows best and we are just the plebs

Buy a Win10 Pro business class pc/laptop
    Winupdates will install GAMES and other CRAP(via Winupdates) that should NEVER be on a Business PC . MS knows best, we are plebs .

Your HP printer is 1-2 years old. Latest build means it will never work properly again. No Win10 drivers available from HP , only available via
    winupdates
    . The printer will print 1 page , and thats it. Remove the drv etc & try again. 1 page , then nothing. Customer had to buy a new printer(old printer works perfectly with Win7)

PC to PC Networking bugs & niggles, there since Vista , still not resolved.

Control Panel or 'Settings" .
    Which is it MS .
    Still need both. OK, so MS go 'lets take away any links to control panel', despite the fact its still needed , making it harder to get to for the av user.

"Fast Start" lets put that in there & have so many PC's simply not startup properly because of it. MS fixing or removing it , nah .
    And God help you if your new laptop has a slow 5400rpm HD . Slow HD + 10 = pain .

Joy
    Last edited by 1101; 18-12-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Sorry to say BUT its a classic case of not knowing your product.

That's why having your head in the sand when W10 first came out you get left behind knowledge wise.

Some problems mentioned -- The log on - Congrates you fell into the ( amateur mistake) of next next next setup , AGAIN not looking what is offered (caused by lack of knowing the OS).

The updates 1101 mentioned, again EASY to solve. Got a PC here that hasn't updated for close to 6 months now, when it try's its blocked.

None of the W10 I set up use a MS login unless the owner wants them.

The only reason a couple of my computers use a password at all is they connect to my home server, but that's my choice, NOT a Microsoft account. The Computers (certain Apps) are connected to MS accounts for Onedrive, calendar, But that's all.

The only PC that connects directly to a MS account is This one I'm on, and that's because the insider build.

When you set up Windows 10 you have two options a MS account or a Local account (you can have a password if you want or not) Getting anything from the Microsoft store - Again Often people just click next, and don't actually see the option to ONLY sign into one account Eg: Web mail, calendar. What will have happened if its suddenly asking for a MS log in is someone will have set it to do that.

Its a SIMPLE fix, change back to a Local account --Problem solved, no trickery or hidden hacks, again its knowing your OS.

This is from the insider so the layout may be slightly different, but under Accounts:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Signin Capture.PNG 
Views:	103 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	8536

The TV -- you said on the phone the version, that's over a YEAR out of date, LOTS have changed since then.

Advise was given on possible fixing or at least starting in the right direction, but you say
    No, I didn't do the new Windows, I'm over the whole O/S and I sure am not messing any further for him now.
    Guess what ?? It will do it its self at some stage, it will upgrade to the latest.

Seen all these complaints many times and its as I said, not knowing what the person is doing.

PS: BTW - got your email, but I see the questions asked here as well
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-12-2017 at 10:13 AM.

The point is, the av user shouldnt need secret workarounds for these issues (MS would call them features).

MS have made it all about them, what MS wants, not whats best for the user .
    Shoveling crap into the PC , via windows updates rather than fix the products issues .

A lot of it is just familiarity, once you've been using it for a while you stop having these kind of problems (well mostly).
    I know some people like more control over their system and will always be annoyed with MS restricting anything. For me though, I use the same live login on multiple computers and am perfectly happy with it. It actually has some advantages.
    It also didn't require any weird password for me, I just used my Gmail login and that worked surprisingly.

I do use Netplwiz and disable the need for a password at startup and the accounts sign in options to disable the need for a password when it wakes up because I'm the sole user and prefer convenience to security. These aren't workarounds though they are built in options that MS has made a little difficult to find for casual users. This lets me use a live login and not have to enter my password, I think it does ask when accessing the store still though which is good.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Sorry to say BUT its a classic case of not knowing your product.
    Yes, but some of us donít want to learn all the design intricacies of our cars to be able to drive them!
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

One of MS most annoying habits with EVERY new OS release is moving, renaming, and changing commonly accessed features every time. There's always something you used to know exactly how to do that you end up having to research on the new OS, often times with no good reason that I can see. But these are initial annoyances that you quickly get over if you use an OS daily.

XP seems to have a huge amount of goodwill and still has people who don't want to move on, but if you remember - or research it if you can't - it was plagued compatibility issues, stability problems, poor driver support, and an unfamiliar interface that had people hating it for months after release. Point is these are not new issues, but once you get past them it's really not that bad. Hell even Vista got to be pretty usable in the end. The only windows version I remember that never got sorted out was Me, now that was a dog of an operating system.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Yes, but some of us donít want to learn all the design intricacies of our cars to be able to drive them!
    EVERY single previous version has had changes, the layout is changed, people got by and learnt -- people are not used to change any more.

There's an old saying computers make you dumb -- And hell is it right, some people are so out of touch with being able to figure out something they are lost unless spoon fed.

Using the car example, years ago, many people could fix their own cars, now a days a modern car you need technical skills and expensive equipment.

Heres one for you B.M.

I'm positive if I gave you a math's division question and said work it out, showing full working. You could write it down and show all the working. Because that's how you would have done it in the younger years.

Today give most school kids the same question and unless they have a something with a calculator they are stuffed.

When doing school cert MANY moons ago, we weren't allowed to take a calculator into exams -- today its a required device.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Which is why I'm sticking with Windows and not moving to Linux.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter