Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Cool Boot Problem... grub?

Not a killer problem, but an annoying one.

When I fresh boot in AM, all the further the computer goes is to the Intel Inside Think Center splash screen and waitf for human input to tell it to 1F for system settings or F12 for boot sequence.

Of course, I have to hit F12 and then the first drive is the HDD, so then it loads up just fine and dandy.

Like I said - not a killer problem, just annoying is all.

It might work as another security level for someone who isn't a geek-o to get into my system/distro.

Black screens are very much like a BSOD to someone unacquainted.

Is this some sort of grub corruption-thing? I Googled and didn't see much semi-illiterate information for a village idiot.

This distro seems to be the most stable and reliable - especially now that I've got ONLY Ubuntu 16.04 LTS running.

My desktop: (as the proud father) --- Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Surreal-Space-Wallpaper.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	8535

I'm learning----> thanks to kind person in Upsidedown Land.

I figger that as far South as I have gone so far, I may now get a break in bad fortune
    until the rest of the world catches up with me.

Default Re: Boot Problem... grub?

I don't think it's a Grub problem as the halt in the boot process is occurring before Grub starts (from hard drive). Either you are having a problem with the hard drive being recognised by the system when first booted or the boot order in your BIOS needs tweaking. Try going into the BIOS (F1) and find the boot order section and make sure the hard drive is the first selection for booting.

It may be the hard drive is getting "tired" and not getting its "skirts" in order for booting and the BIOS is thinking there i no boot device available (especially if this is the first cold boot of the day, subsequent reboots are OK because the hard drive is up and working already).

BTW, I like your desktop wallpaper, really cool image!
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

As Rod said that's a BIOS halt error. It would normally occur when something has changed with the hardware or there is a problem. For example I have one that does it every time because of a low battery warning (must go buy a battery one of these days).

If it's the hard drive some BIOS settings have an option for adding a delay to allow the hard drive time to spin up. I forget the name, post boot delay perhaps. It was occasionally necessary with older hard drives to give them time to initialise but it was always a rarely used option. I'd only expect that to work on older systems though.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I worried that there might be some kinda hdd trouble. Thanks for that confirmation.

If it means anything, I cannot get settings in the BIOS to hold, as the reboot after the Power Loss setting would default to DO reboot from DONT reboot. That's annoying when I try to shut down and it keeps on rebooting until I hold the power button in.

What I thought was that my forcing a shut down, I was damaging the boot loader or grub system and the splash screen holding like that was either the HDD throwing a hissy or the CMOS dying and unable to hold a charge.

What turned me away from the CMOS was that when I flipped the 120v power Mains switch on the PSU, the LEDs on the Card Reader would slowly flicker off after 30 minutes or so. I thought that was pretty good performance from the CMOS ...... right?

That made me think this was either the boot/grub as the problem or a dying hdd. That aggravates me as this is one of my last, new 500g hdd, fresh outta the box....it's antistatic wrapper still sealed and intact.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    when I flipped the 120v power Mains switch
    Well, there's your problem - you only have half the proper voltage
    We've got the shovels, we've got the gloves
    We've had the visions, we've got approval from above

The card reader doesn't power from the CMOS battery, the 30 mins will more likely be the PSU capacitors. All the battery does is maintain the CMOS settings and keep the clock running. They are not normally rechargeable although some manufacturers did try that for a while. I think it was abandoned due to the unreliability of small Ni Cads and their tendency to leak.

The CMOS normally powers from a small coin type battery, they tend to last quite a few years but the more time the PC spends powered down the quicker they flatten. If it's an older machine it's worth replacing, very cheap and easy and you would normally only do it once in the life of a PC. I have a 10 year old Dell I'm playing with that's warning me the battery is failing and halts on every start up with a message telling me to press F1 to continue or F12 for the boot menu.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Yup. That's the same message.

I have some brand new coin batteries in stock. That's my next move.,

Quote Originally Posted by fred_fish View Post
    Well, there's your problem - you only have half the proper voltage
    Ha ha ... good one, Fred!
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Yup. That's the same message.

I have some brand new coin batteries in stock. That's my next move.,
    Good move, it's what I would try first.
    FTW

That aggravates me as this is one of my last, new 500g hdd, fresh outta the box....it's antistatic wrapper still sealed and intact.
    Well, Dugimodo has hit the nail on the head.

I'm glad you didn't chuck the new drive out (my previous diagnosis was on the basis of it being an old drive) ... obviously it is the CMOS battery that is dying not the hard drive. CMOS battery very cheap, HDD not so much!