Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: For Sale - PC Parts

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Good build, but is there a reason not to go for the new 8 series CPUs? .
    Money.
    And it's not mine, sons......he had a quote for $2.5K, that amount got decreased a bit, so that's what we came up with.
    wipe your paws.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an 8400 and motherboard at the same price or cheaper as a 7700, the CPU is ~ $150 cheaper than the 7700 for a start and if you shop around it's possible to get a MB for ~ $250 or less https://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA82549

Not that there's anything wrong with a 7700 for gaming, I just suspect the 6 core i5 will be a little longer lasting - but probably not much.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

This is actually the best PC he has ever had.

He likes the games, he knows nothing and cares nothing about any of the rest of it.
    Really, I said go buy a console, he probably would but he doesn't like the controllers either......

So every time this happens, the games start to struggle a bit, the b*****g starts, and of course it involves upgrades

he asked a while back, I said $4500 for the PC, which is too much, I said upgrade it. He doesn't care about case, doesn't like blingy ones either, so why?

So ok, did quote at time, a couple, 1 off ComputerLounge.
    The usual result, he hated the cost.

So I suggested he use his bonus. Much dithering and complaining.
    Until the other day when I get a txt stating a specific amount, go do it for that. Now.

Great, no time to look properly, my suppliers out of stock on a lot of stuff, getting emails and txts from him. It took me all morning to find A)stuff within budget B)stuff within budget that someone had in stock C)Something compatible and not too crap

He really doesn't care, He didn't want the O/S, I insisted on that, else there'd be issues with drivers, if not straight away, then later. Etc

His current C: was actually April 07 in age...and a mess, the thing ran like a pig due to bloat etc anyway.
    I also insisted on the SSD.

So lots of complaining at me, windows, drive...the fact that he had to download some of the steam games again...etc.
    (He had game stuff, install files, crap everywhere, duplicate files. STuff on C: etc.)

This time it's not to go on C:. So far, so good, but he hasn't installed anything yet, on his own. No doubt it will become the same later.

As it is he has buggered off out while I slaved away.
    And thanks Wainuitech for those tips,,, and assistance.

So I was slightly over the whole thing anyway, change this part, change that part....grrrrr...

So long as the GPU is good, being the expensive bit, thats fine.

last time, he started with rubbish, and I eventually swapped out his CPU, swapped out his GPU! Gave him mine and I got another, changed the PSU, changed the case - cause the one he had literally was falling apart, buckled, front switches munted etc.
    He didn't care.

Then most recently as I'd forgotten how lame the ram was, and whatever game he h=just got was lagging and whining, gave him mine. Which I now have back finally.

See?

Have to say, it's going well now, dead quiet, that HDD he had was like a tractor...
    It's quite speedy and his daughter is on it playing games now, abandoned my old thing...daddies is the thing apparently now.

He really won't care, just complain about windows, and so long as the games are happy, he'll just play and hopefully shut up now.
    Last edited by pctek; 16-12-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    wipe your paws.

You saying "he doesn't care" seems to me to be an illustration of the bubble we enthusiasts tend to live in. I'm sure there are thousands of others just like him, not just gamers, who only want a system that will do what they want at a price they can afford. It could be all powered by rubber bands for all they care.

I think we (those of us in the forum) can sometimes get a bit carried away by all the blingy bells and whistles and forget the fundamentals. I include myself in that category.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Y I'm sure there are thousands of others just like him, not just gamers, who only want a system that will do what they want at a price they can afford. It could be all powered by rubber bands for all they care.

Yep.
    And as my above thread shows, I think he'll either be living with the O/S as is, or biting the bullet and getting used to a console controller next time round.
    wipe your paws.