Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TV speakers recommendation?

I've got an el-cheapo Veon TV, which is crappy but ok. What I'd like most is some speakers to improve the sound for both movies and music cd's and dvd's. Any suggestions for a budget solution?
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Default Re: TV speakers recommendation?

I, too, have a Veon TV. The picture is fine but the sound is crappy. I have it connected to a TEAC cd player which is not expensive but a great improvement in the sound quality. Perhaps you might like to give that a try.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Sound Bar?

You can get cheap ones or good quality ones but they are a compromise to powering with a Home Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Sound Bar?

You can get cheap ones or good quality ones but they are a compromise to powering with a Home Theatre
    Yeah that's what I'm looking at.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Sound bars can start from about $200 or get up to $1500 for the Yamaha. Depends on features, and if you want a subwoofer etc. also you can get a sound base which the tv sits on.

The Bose solo 5 is supposed to be a good bar with no sub. Sony does a fairly good one as well. I think has a wireless sub.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Depending on the Model of Veon TV will depend on the output connections / options.

Some have a 3.5mm Headphone Audio, RCA or other options. If yours has those then you can plug in a set of speakers to them.

Our Veon doesn't have either So after years of putting up with crap audio I decided to do something about it a week back. NOW its great. Even SWMBO is impressed and trust me she doesn't like change

improve the sound for both movies and music cd's and dvd's.
    How exactly are those played ?

The everyday TV I connected a set of speakers to the decoders Audio out. As for Music, DVD's etc I use a media center that's under the TV, the Audio out for those plays Via the same speakers (Speakers have 3.5mm and RCA ). Also have a separate Blu-ray player that's connected as well.

The trick is all the RCA outputs go Via a Dial 3 position RCA switch. So the switch simply gets switched to which ever I want to use as the source. Only two are connected as the third is a dead -- Meaning if you turn off the TV the audio from the decoder is still going so turning it to 3 turns it off.

The speakers them selves are Logitech Z333 https://www.logitech.com/en-nz/produ...s-z333?crid=47 Not the most flash /priciest, but 100% better than the Veon TV speakers. ( the video on that site shows how they connect)

The actual volume control is set to about 1/3, I made the mistake of having it at 3/4 on first fire up talk about LOUD but VERY clear, and the base when up high makes the whole room vibrate.

You can spend thousands on speakers, but depends on what you want. My setup (ok had the switch already) the speakers (wholesale/dealers rate) under $100.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-12-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Add to above-- Jarcar has a RCA switch that would do the same as I have but 4 port https://www.jaycar.co.nz/4-way-a-v-selector/p/AC1652

I use a veon tv in the bedroom fed by an old pc and using the line in to a Sony Bluetooth speaker worth around $200 ish
    Tiny thing, thought it'd be too weak but it sounds great. Really wish they'd build that kind of speaker technology into tv's. Even my 60" samsung tv sounds rubbish by comparison.

Minister of Guitar. rob_on_guitar's Avatar

I use some old LG sets for kids tvs and stuff, never fails.
    Current band: Leave The Dead

My Veon is plugged into a Rotel amp that then feeds a pair of Mission 75 speakers sounds amazing, no surround sound here as I prefer stereo as its mainly for music.