Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What type of computer case do you have with your desktop computer?

Oh er, watterus.....

:-)
    wipe your paws.

i'm still running my old Aopen full tower case.
    heavy as lead. tho thinking of changing due to lack of front ports.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Senior

Silverstone Redline RL04B Mid Tower. Have had it for about 3 yrs

Silverstone SG08 for i7
    and
    wooden copy of it for Ryzen
    both of them ITX (I think 14L each)

But for my next computer I'm going to copy Dugimodo and go mATX. (I will again make the case out of wood)

My reason for mATX is to get 4 memory slots. Memory is expensive and scarce so with 4 slots I could get 64GB as 4 x 16GB. I don't think 2 x 32GB will be common. My video editing seems to take as much memory as I throw at it

My Ryzen rig has 32GB of "AMD" memory. I was a bit reluctant to fork out the exorbitant price demanded if the AMD memory could only be used with AMD processors. But I tried it on my i7 rig a few days ago and it worked flawlessly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Memory.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	8508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Memory32GB.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	8509  
    Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock, EVO 960 500GB M.2 NVMe, G-Skill 2 x 16GB @ 2.4GHz,
    GA-AB350N-Gaming Wifi (mITX), EVGA GTX970. Media player: i7-6700k

Quote Originally Posted by BBCmicro View Post

My reason for mATX is to get 4 memory slots. Memory is expensive and scarce so with 4 slots I could get 64GB as 4 x 16GB. I don't think 2 x 32GB will be common.
    What? ATx always has 4 slots.
    Some mATX have 4, some don't.

And common or not, I'd get 2 x 32GB. It's always like that - 16Gb is standard right now, that will change and 32 will be, then 64 and son...
    remember MB? 4, 8, 16, 32...then GB...and now the same.

It's only expensive twice - right when it is new out (DDR4) and again once it's obsolete and becoming scarcer. Once it's in common use, it's pretty cheap actually.

Don't believe me? Try fining 32Gb DDR3 (in no more than 2 pieces) vs DDR4.
    wipe your paws.

I think the comparison is to ITX which usually has only 2 slots whereas it's generally easy to find an mATX with 4 slots so if max memory is a consideration ITX is at a disadvantage.

mATX is a great compromise if you prefer small size but still want 4 RAM slots. One down side is there are not a great deal of mATX only cases around because it's just barely smaller than a standard mid tower so you can just use those.
    But then you may as well go full ATX. I do find using a MB that's smaller than what the case can hold makes installation easy though :0

Here's my case http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/obsidia...ro-atx-pc-case suits me perfectly with room for everything I want while still being fairly compact.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Wanderer

Those of you who have mid tower cases do you put them on the floor or on the table/desk?

Mine is on the floor and dust can be an issue.

On the floor but the intake fan has a filter that's fairly easy to clean so dust is not too bad.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Segotep Polar light MATX case. Came with 5 LED fans. It's not too bad. I like it because the PSU is hidden

It doesnt have front bays. So dont have a DVD on it. Just connected a USB 3 card reader. Only thing is the red USB wire came out of one of the front USB 2 ports. But it still works, if I push it back into the connector

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Those of you who have mid tower cases do you put them on the floor or on the table/desk? ...
    My Ryzen rig is on a shelf on the side of the desk about a half metre above the floor - air intake on top

I don't like the space given over to mechanical drives in commercial cases. I haven't bought one of those things in years
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ryzen layout.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	8529  
    Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock, EVO 960 500GB M.2 NVMe, G-Skill 2 x 16GB @ 2.4GHz,
    GA-AB350N-Gaming Wifi (mITX), EVGA GTX970. Media player: i7-6700k