Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats

Default Cats

Now I like cats. I own cats.
    However, enough is enough.

I have complained to HNZ many times, nothing happens.
    This time I have complained and forwarded it to the MP for Housing....as he wants to allow dogs back in HNZ houses, I don't hold much hope of a response from him, but what else do I do?

A tenant over back of us in one of the units is a cat hoarder. They are breeding the things.

The cats come here.

Not all of them I'd say, cats average 3 kittens to 5 kittens a litter but there has been numerous cats and kittens in the last 2 years. My neighbour tells me there are heaps they see too.

These new ones cause me a big problem, they come here themselves, sooner or later, probably because they figure out, where there are other cats, there must be cat FOOD.

They come in the door, they come in the windows, they persist in coming. I am not feeding them, but they come anyway.
    They roam around my property crying and bothering my cats.
    They are thin and sickly looking.

I have rehomed several already and taken one pregnant kitten to the SPCA.
    The SPCA are overwhelmed now anyway, and they tell me they cannot interfere, by law, until this is a cruelty situation.

It will become so. Once there are a hundred of them.
    As each lot is born, then the females also become pregnant, and in no time it is a huge issue.

I cannot ignore it either, as I say - the cats come here, they come into my house. I cannot lock all the doors and windows all the time.

It stresses my elderly cats, and it makes the new guy anxious.

All she had to do was get the cats spayed. The SPCA frequently offer a free service in this area.
    I had 2 of them neutered myself, one through their service and one I paid for.
    To try and stop the problem.

This woman does not feed them, she does not neuter them.
    And still these cats come. I am beginning to get pissed off.

Smartass comments about shooting them is not helpful either....it's not the cats fault and that won't stop the endless breeding.
    wipe your paws.

Default Re: Cats

I tried very hard to 'love' cats but failed. They come to my property uninvited and created hell of a mess in my backyard and 'front' yard, you know what I mean.

For those who own and love cats, could you please control your pets and don't let them roam around like stray cats.

Can't re Member

Silly answers; Get a dog, Ring Gareth Morgan

More helpful -
    get a cat door that only works off your cats collar
    Use the hose or water gun on the rogue cats
    Get a slingshot a use suitable ammo that won't kill the kitties, maybe cut up raw kumara. Paintball shops sell slingshots
    AK Council avoid the issue but their website does say contact them if there is an issue, under " how many cats you can keep"

I think Gareth is right but I dislike him more than I dislike cats.

A friend of mine always has too many cats as well, there's no telling her that there's anything wrong with it. At least she looks after hers better than your neighbour does.
    But the mess they make and the nuisance to the neighbours..... anyone who thinks cats are clean has never visited a house where there are more than 10 of them in residence.

Anyway can't think of much that will help other than keep complaining and get a decent water pistol. They really hate those super soakers, even the noise of pumping them up scares them off after they've been hit a few times.
    I've never met a cat owner that actually keeps their cat at home, it's really rather difficult to achieve. I would personally like to see a 2 cat per household rule for anyone that's not a licensed breeder, but the truth is even if it was law they would never enforce it.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

pcsourcepoint

My family has had cats, mainly kids feel sorry and take them in, some do vanish, others have been killed on the roads. or attacked by dogs. I rang SPCA, they would only take one or two, after telling me to try dispose them on Trademe. Maybe a Vet might have ideas on how to ward of cats, or SPCA since they must dispose of them somehow.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by Ofthesea View Post
    get a cat door that only works off your cats collar
    Use the hose or water gun on the rogue cats
    Get a slingshot a use suitable ammo that won't kill the kitties, maybe cut up raw kumara. Paintball shops sell slingshots
    They come in the window
    Water doesn't discourage starving cats
    Hurting them, ditto

Council does need to change the law. Round up the unchipped and unspayed and euthanise.....
    It's cruel to the animals too....latest is only young...
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofthesea View Post
    ... maybe cut up raw kumara. ....
    Kumara is damn expensive! May as well fire caviar or quail eggs at them.

Jokes aside, it's a difficult situation. We've got two cats - spayed and microchipped or course, but have neighbour's cats, or random strays that are around quite frequently. One in particular has now had two trips into the shower and a swift boot up it's backside, but it doesn't seem to deter it.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    One in particular has now had two trips into the shower and a swift boot up it's backside, but it doesn't seem to deter it.
    No it won't.
    They roam because they are not being fed, not being looked after...they eat where-ever they can, try and find a new home.

It's cruel and it is 100% the owner - or previous owners fault.

It's time the council did make laws, it won't cure it completely but it would help a lot.
    I wouldn't mind my rates going up a bit to help fund the program.
    wipe your paws.

The only pets we have are some pensioner chickens but the neigbour has a cat. Strange cat never seen one like it before, it comes over to our place most days but the strange thing is its very friendly to everyone including other animals and not standoffish or skittish like cats are. It likes to sit with the chickens and another neighbors pet rabbit and pyscho mutt when they are out. The neigbs with the cat are extreme good buggers and I wonder if it has rubbed off on the cat.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Best cat I ever came across was a Maine Coon, a giant cat. It was part of a pet family of 2 whippets 1 cat and chosen because of the reputation the breed has of being dog friendly. I'm not a cat person, but I made an exception for this one. Males can weigh up to about 16kgs, and a record holder measured 123cm from tip of his nose to tip of his tail. It's common to be able to teach a Maine Coon tricks.