Default PST to Win10 Mail?

Is there any easy way to import PST contacts & mail into Win10 mail app ?
    Looked on MS forum & that option isnt available officially (Just why)

Win10 reload , no install key for Office , key couldnt be extracted .
    They didnt want to buy Office again . :-(
    Dont have a 10 PC handy to try it here.
    Last edited by 1101; 07-12-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Default Re: PST to Win10 Mail?

Wouldn't have thought that was possible. IMO the Win10 mail app is a terrible thing. Who are they with for email? If it's a decent provider, I'd set their account up in Exchange or IMAP on a PC with outlook installed, import the old .pst, drag and drop the data into the exchange/IMAP account, let it sync, then set the account up in a real client like Thunderbird.

You could export their contacts to a .csv from Outlook and import that into another mail program if necessary.

Are you moving data to a new computer? What version of office was installed before? if it's 2007 or newer it will run OK on Win10 - Outlook 2007 is pretty iffy with IMAP though. You can recover the install key using a program like ProduKey, and the install files are all freely available for download from MS.
    Last edited by wratterus; 07-12-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

The mail, It is possible, but its not an easy way. The Contacts are easy - export as .csv as advised.

Basically what Wratterus wrote is how I've done it. Used either IMAP or another program, then IMAP, Although if the answers can be given to the questions asked it will be a lot easier to advise

How many mails are you needing, 10 or thousands ?

I might try the suggestion above, of imap on another PC & import old mail & contacts through imap. Great idea.

I wonder if Im just going to make things harder for myself, and should just tell them they MUST buy Office, for Outlook .
    Its one of those when there are 2 people telling you to do different things
    I setup the PC with webmail for xtra. Shes complaining her old mail & contacts arnt available

One says , dont worry , thats the way it has to be, they will sort it out later (but dont)
    the other , completely computer illiterate, wants email it was before , doesnt understand why they need to buy office etc etc

It was a reload , corrupted win.
    They couldnt find any office key or 365 a/c details & didnt know if it was retail Office 2016 or 365 Office.
    So its now a bog standard Win10 reinstall, using xtra webmail. Previously using Outlook.

Theres one of two ways I use. Either as its been mentioned, load the .pst file into another copy of Outlook and set to IMAP and it will sync.

The second - If using a stand alone program like Thunderbird, using a program that converts .pst to .eml ( one like this) https://gallery.technet.microsoft.co...erter-468ef66a

Then once they are converted, simple drag and drop the mails into thunderbird. If you have separate folders you need to create them and drag/drop as required. With the converters, you don't need outlook installed, only the .pst file.

The only down side is most of those converter programs are not free. Some like the one linked will only allow 25 to be converted ( as a trail) then you have to pay for it. I brought one years ago, it was well worth it, and paid for its self many times over.

Gotta love that proprietary lock-in ... keeps the punters re-buying your product to get their data back.

Thunderbird will import from Outlook, but needs it installed - it won't extract directly from a binary format .pst.

If you have another PC with Outlook you can drop the pst on that and open it with a new Outlook profile, then create a new Tbird profile, import, and close. Then transfer the tbird profile back to original PC and get on with life.

Thunderbird uses the (standard, text based) mbox format by default for storage and there are many (free) converters and extractors for that.
    You can just use standard text processing utilities, or even just open the mbx files in notepad at a pinch, to get at your archived mail if the mail client goes titsup.