Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Goods

Can't re Member

Smile Dangerous Goods

I travelled from Auckland to Queenstown last Tuesday 28th Nov and on arrival found the padlock I had put on my suitcase had been subject to boltcutters. The remains of the padlock had been left inside the suitcase with a note that an item in the case had been inspected for "suitability for air travel" and returned. Sadly the padlock is of no more use though the key is fine. The curious thing is that apart from clothes I had two phone chargers and a toilet bag. I'm left wondering what led them to think I was a terrorist. ... perplexed.

Default Re: Dangerous Goods

What leads you to believe that "they" thought you were a terrorist?

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

What was in the toilet bag?
    A container of any sort would probably be enough to raise alarm bells.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Ofthesea View Post
    I travelled from Auckland to Queenstown last Tuesday 28th Nov and on arrival found the padlock I had put on my suitcase had been subject to boltcutters. The remains of the padlock had been left inside the suitcase with a note that an item in the case had been inspected for "suitability for air travel" and returned. Sadly the padlock is of no more use though the key is fine. The curious thing is that apart from clothes I had two phone chargers and a toilet bag. I'm left wondering what led them to think I was a terrorist. ... perplexed.
    Dont padlock your bag its a waste of time, if someone wanted to steal it and get inside they would just use a stanley knife.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    What was in the toilet bag.
    Had to open a carry on bag once, inside "toilet bag"!! tweezers, ok go ahead.

Nice to know airport in control tho.

2 phone charges and a toilet bag? Sounds like enough to make a bomb.

Sadly, the world loves to push fear around but I look at it as if they are trying to make it safe rather than the negativity it gets. One day they may get praises for preventing such acts and saving a lot of people. You just never know if you're on a flight that never makes it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Dont padlock your bag its a waste of time, if someone wanted to steal it and get inside they would just use a stanley knife.
    Not even that ... a ball point pen or similar object will work - and a thief can cover their tracks just as easily and no-one will ever know.

Until you go looking for that valuable (I'm sure I packed it ...)

Even grandma can open (and close) your locked bag. In seconds. Click HERE

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

When we came back from Vanuatu a couple of weeks back, when leaving they wouldn't allow us to take a can of coke on board we had brought , even though it wasn't opened, because it was over 100ml. I made a joking comment -- Looks like someones getting a free can of drink, No big deal only a drink. all she said was sorry but its over the size of carry on liquids.

When leaving and arriving back in Auckland saw the scanner images as the bags went through the x-ray machines and all chargers, headphones etc were shown, one of the scans the guy did take a double look, What they DID give a real good look at was the laptops. They stopped the scans and looked really hard, its interesting as it would be easy enough if you were that way inclined to make some sort of explosive device and hide it in a laptop case. Glad they are looking for those sorts of things. What I thought they would question was the carry on powerpacks - didn't even blink an eye.

If they asked or opened something they will have done it for a reason, could have just been the way something was packed or looked. Better to be safe than sorry.

Can't re Member

Sure I don't have a problem with the security, I was just a bit amused because I don't think I had anything unusual in the suitcase. The ticket that they put in the bag said they had inspected but found nothing that wasn't suitable so presumably something looked unusual to make them bother opening it but I'm no wiser as to what it was. The padlock was more for when the case was off the plane and being shuttled around Otago. In future I will use a cable tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofthesea View Post
    Sure I don't have a problem with the security, I was just a bit amused because I don't think I had anything unusual in the suitcase. The ticket that they put in the bag said they had inspected but found nothing that wasn't suitable so presumably something looked unusual to make them bother opening it but I'm no wiser as to what it was. The padlock was more for when the case was off the plane and being shuttled around Otago. In future I will use a cable tie.
    Could be worth your looking at the link I posted in #7 above. If you know how, no amount of cable ties and/or padlocks will stop anyone getting access to the contents of your luggage. As I inferred it's a so simple procedure that needs only any sharp object like a ball point pen or even pencil or toothpick - and you don't need to go anywhere near the padlock/s. I posted that, not to educate people in how to by-pass a padlock, but more to illustrate how futile the use of any padlock really is, and the lack of security it affords.

Of course, come the time (and the wisest of us knows not when) when you lose your padlock keys, #7 shows you how to get access. And how to close up again behind you for as many times as you want.

Or if you really keen, go back to the old trunks - or anything that doesn't rely on zips to keep closed.
    Last edited by WalOne; 03-12-2017 at 02:52 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen