Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Windows 10 fall creators update issues

I would agree with linw. The blank screen may be telling you something.

This sort of problem seems to have become an issue since Microsoft moved to the "software as a service" policy. Updates to Win10 might work faultlessly 90% of the time, but weird things can occur. I have already described in F1 how the 1709 update seems to disable unpopulated SATA ports on my Gigabyte MB. How this occurs, I have no idea. It can be fixed by going into UEFI and re-enabling them, and perhaps wouldn't matter except that one of the ports is connected to a swap-rack that I use for system backups. Now, when I insert the drive I have to explicitly enable the SATA connection. Why, for God's sake?

no I don't have...

thankful and will try this weekend and should I remove one monitor as running 1 x 24"LG and 1 x 27" LG ? So you reckon too it must be graphics card driver related since no video on restart?

so remove drivers and all software and then restart or install new drivers without restarting ? Should I also remove my Logitech 9000 camera I guess too as usb only...? Really appreciate you help 1101!!!

Mentioned it in post #2, good chance its graphic Drivers. Simply uninstalling normally usually WONT do it.

What you can try -- if you can start in safe mode (that's a good start), then that's more or less proven its drivers, if not then let it roll back to the previous like you have.

The easiest way to start in safe mode if it wont allow you any other way, is press the power button to start, just as windows starts to load press and hold the power button causing a controlled crash, do this 2 times on the 3 start it will come up with the auto repair (which is what you want and wont fix it) go into trouble shoot /Advanced/Startup, and select/work through the start in safe mode options.

To completely remove the drivers download and run DDU display-driver-uninstaller-download Download links are down the page just above the comments sections. It pays to run this in Safe mode, So if the current install can start in safe mode, when it reboots it will start using Microsoft default basic drivers.

Once the old drivers are gone you can install fresh ones from NVidia.

Also disconnect everything including that web cam ( that alone can cause the problem) that's not required, basically all you need is the keyboard/mouse and monitor.

Thanks wainuitech will try this weekend and much appreciated you excellent advice as always...as bit new to 10 etc...should I disconnect one monitor also you mean? Okay to leave external USB drives plugged in as long as powered off?

Quote Originally Posted by Koenig Tiger View Post
    Thanks wainuitech will try this weekend and much appreciated you excellent advice as always...as bit new to 10 etc...should I disconnect one monitor also you mean? Okay to leave external USB drives plugged in as long as powered off?
    Its sometimes a good idea to unplug everything that's not required. Including ANY external Drive ( powered on or not) if something "weird" is going on it pays to remove the lot ( not required) as the one thing you don't remove could be the cause of the problem.
    Example: I have one PC here, that if a certain external USB (2.5")I have is plugged in it simply wont boot.

I'd unplug one of the monitors as well, simply because there may be something clashing that's causing the black screens. Once it boots OK on one, then plug the other back in, once they have sorted them sleeves out, if it happens again at least you'll know whats causing it.

Sometimes its simply trial and error.

thanks again and appreciated...

Hey, WT, don't you mean "mostly" it's trial and error?

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Hey, WT, don't you mean "mostly" it's trial and error?
    Sorry linw -- Trade secret

Changed driver and still no luck but then saw activity on hdd light after restart so thought it must be doing something eventhough still no video so had a thought to pull video cables out of mon and the re-insert and can you believe it I suddenly had video again where it said it was installing okay and to wait and not to switch off after the first restart.....can you believe this.....what's your opinion as to how this is explained? All installed okay now and incidentally my old I7 DV6 which is much older went straight thru and updated without any issues....