Thread: NZ for sale??

Default NZ for sale??

A Mate/Acquaintance, of political persuasion, advises me that the new Government has found, through the Overseas Investment Office, that the previous Government has allowed to be sold to overseas investors, $2.7 Billion worth of our assets this year, 1 Billion more than the whole of last year.

Sounds outrageous to me, and Google hasn’t helped, so can anyone here confirm or deny?
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Mixed Member

Default Re: NZ for sale??

Probably. The Harvard Superannuation Fund purchased two Otago farms a couple of years ago. I don't like it either.

But. It is land and can't be taken away. Overseas owners always sell eventually.

And. NZers and our companies own plenty of overseas land. Brierley for instance owned a farm in Hawaii. NZers own farms in Bolivia etc.

It’s not so much the matter of foreign investment that bothers me but the volume.

Sometimes Foreign Investment can be a Win, Win, situation.

However, in this case, should it be true, we’re looking at $2.7 Billion, an increase of $1 Billion over the previous year and anyone’s guess the years before that.

My concern is that this has all the trappings of an individual selling their assets to pay their credit card.

Tell me it’s not true.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Of course it's true, and if you kick up a fuss about the Nats allowing it, Z, W and the rest of Shifty Bill (Double Dipton) and Lying Steve's
    apologists will jump on you and accuse you of racism.
    Last edited by KarameaDave; 01-12-2017 at 08:27 AM.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post

But. It is land and can't be taken away.
    No , but we loose control over it. And when too many NZ'ers are paying rent to overseas landowners .. at what stage does NZ stop being NZ.
    When we no longer own the land are we still really an independent country (no)

We we now longer own the farms , what then. NZ cant make any money as farm profits are going overseas .

When overseas investors push up farm prices so much that no kiwi or NZ company can buy farms ...so farms will eventually be mostly overseas owned.
    Look at history to see what happens when to much land is owned or controlled by other countries .
    And NZ isnt without fault, we have screwed over Island nations & stripped their resources and given them b8gger all in return.
    Last edited by 1101; 01-12-2017 at 08:44 AM.