Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Exclamation Ubuntu Finally Running Well!

I got a very nice installation of the Linux Ubuntu distro running the latest version according to the site that let me get it.

I really like it a lot it has a lot of possibilities that I can see and Im getting used to the sudo stuff er, somewhat. But Im having one serious problem with it: the Wi-Fi stability on it kinda sux.

I will be playing MP3s and streams off Pithos, and its great finds my sound card an all. But it falls apart whenever it feels like it.

I mean that I may be writing or listening and the Wi-Fi just quits. I try to keep the Wi-Fi busy by running music in the background and it works ---- for a while.

Any ideas what I can or should do?

I've thoroughly and seriously dropped all things with a M$ in the name somewhere. I'm going to have to buy a new laser printer though as there is NO WAY I can get a Linux driver for a Canon MF1330 printer.

I've tried. Believe me - I tried!

Sadly, I just within the past 6 months gotten 10 new printer cartridges for it - all hermetically sealed in their OE Canon boxes - 'cause they are real Canon parts, not some $3.00/2 Chinese versions that dump powder all over the floor and print racing stripes down each and every sheet.

Any one of youse guys need a Canon MF1330 with 10 new boxed and still sealed cartridges? Youse pay the shipping and they are free!

Living - Learning - Linux.

Default Re: Ubuntu Finally Running Well!

I had look for a driver for that printer and came up empty too. Is that the correct model (MF1330)? I couldn't find anything for that model at all. Make sure that there isn't a compatible printer driver already in the system. Use the System Settings, Add printer dialog to check (maybe you already tried this). There are a lot of Canon models listed there.

If you do have to buy a new laser printer the best makes with almost guaranteed Linux support are HP or Brother.

I had a Lexmark printer years ago that was difficult to get working in Linux but after a lot a sleuthing I found out there was a Lexmark driver for a similar model to the one I had and that worked perfectly. So, even if you can't get the exact model match sometimes another driver will work ... but it's a bit of a mission to pin it down. Lots of trial and error I guess.
    Last edited by Rod J; 13-11-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Hi Joe got any more details - is it a multi function printer and does it come in different versions ? intended for commercial or domestic use? I have a few hints, but seems I am not supplying enough info to go futher.

I found a driver for a Canon MF3111 that gives me PDF printing ability. That will suffice me for a bit until I can afford a printer with Linux capability.

It's a 3 function... you know.... without FAX ability.

It can collate and 2-sided print ... with a 350ct paper drawer and a short run 50ct page drawer.

I hold very little hope for making it run under Linux as it did..... but I hold no remorseful thoughts about it. I'll really miss the fact that it never dries up the ink if it lies fallow.

Ah well....

Next windmill please............(pardon my Quixoticism).

I made a new word!!!!

Is this it Joe? https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...nloads-drivers

If so they say there is no driver .It may be part of your OS

'

Close... but I don't have that one, mine is a MR for Multi-Function.

I'm not sure what driver I finally settled on, but it's crippled to only rendering PDFs.

But quite a few of the fonts are missing too and I get strange Vulcan words.

It may be close enough, worth a try. driver page https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...vers_downloads

It has 32 & 64 bit Linux drivers

At this point, I've given up on this printer. It's been harder on me to let it go than you can imagine - it's like a good friend. It always printed when I wanted it to - almost silently. (sigh)

(sniff) - I just sold my old best friend - my Canon Laser.

I got almost as much money as I needed to get a new one. The 6 new, extra refills sold it I think. A Win XP-P user wanted it.

I really like the look of this Samsung though: SL-M2875DW/XAC

That Samsung printer seems to have some Linux support. I found a suitable driver here: http://www.easydriver.xyz/2016/05/sa...printer_1.html

Down the bottom of the page the first link is for Linux 32/64-bit. I had a look at the driver and it looks pretty straightforward to install. Just extract the driver somewhere and run the install script in a terminal session.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Got it! Thanks!

If I install this driver package now - before I get the printer, will Ubuntu find it automatically --- or is there another step once I have the hardware here?

IOW: Will pre-loading the driver now make the printer more or less, PNP?