Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Exclamation Ubuntu Finally Running Well!

I got a very nice installation of the Linux Ubuntu distro running the latest version according to the site that let me get it.

I really like it a lot it has a lot of possibilities that I can see and Im getting used to the sudo stuff er, somewhat. But Im having one serious problem with it: the Wi-Fi stability on it kinda sux.

I will be playing MP3s and streams off Pithos, and its great finds my sound card an all. But it falls apart whenever it feels like it.

I mean that I may be writing or listening and the Wi-Fi just quits. I try to keep the Wi-Fi busy by running music in the background and it works ---- for a while.

Any ideas what I can or should do?

I've thoroughly and seriously dropped all things with a M$ in the name somewhere. I'm going to have to buy a new laser printer though as there is NO WAY I can get a Linux driver for a Canon MF1330 printer.

I've tried. Believe me - I tried!

Sadly, I just within the past 6 months gotten 10 new printer cartridges for it - all hermetically sealed in their OE Canon boxes - 'cause they are real Canon parts, not some $3.00/2 Chinese versions that dump powder all over the floor and print racing stripes down each and every sheet.

Any one of youse guys need a Canon MF1330 with 10 new boxed and still sealed cartridges? Youse pay the shipping and they are free!

"Life" is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Default Re: Ubuntu Finally Running Well!

I had look for a driver for that printer and came up empty too. Is that the correct model (MF1330)? I couldn't find anything for that model at all. Make sure that there isn't a compatible printer driver already in the system. Use the System Settings, Add printer dialog to check (maybe you already tried this). There are a lot of Canon models listed there.

If you do have to buy a new laser printer the best makes with almost guaranteed Linux support are HP or Brother.

I had a Lexmark printer years ago that was difficult to get working in Linux but after a lot a sleuthing I found out there was a Lexmark driver for a similar model to the one I had and that worked perfectly. So, even if you can't get the exact model match sometimes another driver will work ... but it's a bit of a mission to pin it down. Lots of trial and error I guess.
    Last edited by Rod J; 13-11-2017 at 11:39 PM.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Hi Joe got any more details - is it a multi function printer and does it come in different versions ? intended for commercial or domestic use? I have a few hints, but seems I am not supplying enough info to go futher.

I found a driver for a Canon MF3111 that gives me PDF printing ability. That will suffice me for a bit until I can afford a printer with Linux capability.

It's a 3 function... you know.... without FAX ability.

It can collate and 2-sided print ... with a 350ct paper drawer and a short run 50ct page drawer.

I hold very little hope for making it run under Linux as it did..... but I hold no remorseful thoughts about it. I'll really miss the fact that it never dries up the ink if it lies fallow.

Ah well....

Next windmill please............(pardon my Quixoticism).

I made a new word!!!!

Is this it Joe? https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...nloads-drivers

If so they say there is no driver .It may be part of your OS

'

Close... but I don't have that one, mine is a MR for Multi-Function.

I'm not sure what driver I finally settled on, but it's crippled to only rendering PDFs.

But quite a few of the fonts are missing too and I get strange Vulcan words.

It may be close enough, worth a try. driver page https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...vers_downloads

It has 32 & 64 bit Linux drivers

At this point, I've given up on this printer. It's been harder on me to let it go than you can imagine - it's like a good friend. It always printed when I wanted it to - almost silently. (sigh)

(sniff) - I just sold my old best friend - my Canon Laser.

I got almost as much money as I needed to get a new one. The 6 new, extra refills sold it I think. A Win XP-P user wanted it.

I really like the look of this Samsung though: SL-M2875DW/XAC

That Samsung printer seems to have some Linux support. I found a suitable driver here: http://www.easydriver.xyz/2016/05/sa...printer_1.html

Down the bottom of the page the first link is for Linux 32/64-bit. I had a look at the driver and it looks pretty straightforward to install. Just extract the driver somewhere and run the install script in a terminal session.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Got it! Thanks!

If I install this driver package now - before I get the printer, will Ubuntu find it automatically --- or is there another step once I have the hardware here?

IOW: Will pre-loading the driver now make the printer more or less, PNP?