Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ubuntu Finally Running Well!

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    Got it! Thanks!

If I install this driver package now - before I get the printer, will Ubuntu find it automatically --- or is there another step once I have the hardware here?

IOW: Will pre-loading the driver now make the printer more or less, PNP?
    I can't say for sure about that.

I did install this driver in my test install of Mint KDE 18.2 (based on Ubuntu 16.04). It installed without problem even though there was no compatible printer attached to this system. Without the actual printer to test it with I can't guarantee that it will work. It will probably work but you never know.

Like I said earlier, HP and Brother have the best Linux support for printers. I have a Brother multi-function inkjet (DCP-J140W) myself and it works just fine.

To install the Samsung driver do this:

Extract the driver file to the /tmp folder. It will create a subfolder named "uld".

Now you will have to start a root terminal to install the driver. So start a terminal and follow the commands here (copy and paste to avoid typos):

Code:
    sudo -i

cd /tmp/uld

./install.sh
    Follow the prompts that appear (just press spacebar to zip through the legal agreement). Type "y" and Enter to agree to it.

I'm not sure how you're going to connect the printer, so the answer to the network question is uncertain to me. I would just answer with "n" for now.

The install should complete now. Hopefully when you get the printer it will be smooth sailing from then on.
    Last edited by Rod J; 17-11-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

This is the 2nd good news of the day.

Thanks to you and all youse guys in Upsidedown Land for hanging with an old Yank (the noun, not the verb).

You're welcome Joe!

I just read through your other thread getting your WiFi USB device working ... good news as you said. You seem to be getting the hang of Linux commands now. It's just logical stuff really. I've never had a fear of the command line as it's very similar to the old DOS command line (though way more powerful). I'm showing my age now I guess.

BTW, I noticed that in one place you couldn't figure out why after putting your password in that the subsequent commands didn't act like you were now 'root'. That is because the sudo command prefix only operates on the line it is on. The next line you are back to normal user (this is represented by "$" prompt. If you had prefixed "sudo" to the subsequent commands it would have worked and you wouldn't have had to put your password in again either (for the next 15 minutes or so, that is).

When you use sudo -i however that switches the terminal to root mode and all subsequent commands as root, hence the prompt symbol changes to a "#". Just be careful with doing stuff in root mode though, it can really stuff your system up if you do something dumb ... we've all done that now and then.
    Last edited by Rod J; 18-11-2017 at 12:56 AM.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

So, superuser do... is transient.

I've got a Linux glossary that I need to "somewhat memorize" I guess.

Sadly, I don't know any Linux users in my area.... none of whom I would have considered breaking bread with, anyway.

It is rumoured that such people only come out at midnight to buy Twinkies, Red Bull and licorice. Once restocked, they slither back under chicken coops or HazMat piles of asbestos.

They may have also migrated south (to a warmer climate here in Rightsideup Land), to return late Spring after the first thawout and the igloos melt.