Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Powerline adaptor between ONT and modem/router

Firstly thanks for everyones input.

Im aware the best option is to have the router next to the ONT. My problem is getting the fibre from the point where it reaches the house to a centrally located position. As I explained its a very awkward proposition to cable and I dont like the idea of surface wiring. Ugly! Cat 5/6 cabling is also awkward from the router hence my question.

So the next best options are wifi only with router next the ONT where the fibre accesses the house or my thought of ONT - powerline - router.

With regard to powerline adaptors the more expensive they get the greater the claimed throughput. Does anyone have experience on the relative merits of a 1000/2000 Mbps versus say 500 Mbps adaptor.

Maybe I should just try the ISP router for wifi at the ONT and if thats no good upgrade to a better router. I could then look at a powerline adaptor to extend coverage if needed.

Any other thoughts/comments appreciated.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Or just get Chorus to run the fibre through your wall / ceiling to your desired location? ;-)

I have a powerline unit here where I live between the Office and the HT unit. I get a max of 45Mbits thruput . The second batch I got are reliable the first ones weren't though they are the same DLink model.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Personally have put in a LOT of TP-Link Power adapters. Both wireless and non wireless. Mostly they work fine. On the odd occasion they play up it's nothing to do with the adapters, it's the wiring in the house.

As for Speed -- the fastest speed you will be able to get is the weakest link.

MEANING: No point in having 2000 Mbps Powerline adapters if somewhere in the line is a switch (or something else) that will only take 100Mbps or as it is many times the devices can't pull the wireless any faster.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-10-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.