Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Powerline adaptor between ONT and modem/router

I currently have ADSL and want to upgrade to fibre. My house is 2 storey with concrete floor and no roof space. Very hard to wire from access point to where I want the modem. Is there any reason I cant use a powerline adaptor to transfer data from the ONT at the access point to the modem in the middle of the house. Seems logical to me but can anyone confirm if this will work.

Thanks

Default Re: Powerline adaptor between ONT and modem/router

I'm by far a networking expert but I know the main issue people run into when dealing with any nonstandard setup with their ONT is making sure VLAN tagging is setup correctly. I would guess that since the powerline adapter only has to pass the tagged packets there a good chance it would be fine.
    | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | Hyper 212 evo CPU cooler | Corsair vengance 12gb 1600Mhz | EVGA 1070 FTW | 60gb SSD + 500gb SSD + 2x WD black 1tb HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Corsair AX850w | Corsair 600t white |

Why do you want to move the modem? Why not leave it by the ONT and either run a network cable or use wifi to the PC?
    wipe your paws.

You could put the ISP supplied modem/router with the ONT (and with wireless), and then use your existing router as just an AP (lan to lan connection, turn off dhcp on the 2nd router).

Yes you could use power line. But you'd have to hope you got a good connection between them.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Just no.

leave the ~router where it is~ by the ONT
    connect the powerline to the routers output & put the slave powerline unit in the middle of the house : get a powerline pair that has built in wifi on the slave end.

even better , get an additional powerline slave unit & put that at the other end of the house downstairs, so one upstairs, one downstairs . You can have multiple powerline slave units through the house

No reason you can't but the connection speed between powerline adaptors may limit your internet speed if it's lower than the fibre plan you choose. They can and do work very well and at good speeds, but it depends on how your house is wired.
    I tried using one to the bedroom at the far end of my house and got speeds slower than the poorly performing wireless I wanted to replace but weirdly enough out to the garage which is much farther I get ok speeds and to the adjoining room from the router I get ~ 200 Mbps. Unfortunately there is no way to know how well it will work until you try it.

Also if you want to power anything else off the same power point get adaptors with a pass through mains outlet, you don't wan't to plug one into a multiboard as it tends to perform poorly when you do that.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Not sure what the big issue people have with the ONT>powerline>router issue is, so long as it works it will be the cheapest way to get the wifi where you need it.
    | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | Hyper 212 evo CPU cooler | Corsair vengance 12gb 1600Mhz | EVGA 1070 FTW | 60gb SSD + 500gb SSD + 2x WD black 1tb HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Corsair AX850w | Corsair 600t white |

It won’t be as efficient as a cat5e/cat6 cable and could possibly be saturated if a 100mbps internet connection and heavy use.

I used to use powerline between a tuner and a server. And the interference from the power lines would hose the video file.

Computer Tech

It should work but the problem will be if you ever want to add another powerline adapter to extend the wifi or whatever.
    With the powerline adapter between the router and ont the new powerline adapter won’t get internet.
    The router needs to be connected direct to the ont.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slankydudl View Post
    Not sure what the big issue people have with the ONT>powerline>router issue is, so long as it works it will be the cheapest way to get the wifi where you need it.
    Coz they're not reliable throughput-wise, that's why. I'd *never* game over one, ever. Also it's totally 100% unnecessary if the OP hasn't yet installed the ONT.

@Fuzzee, you've said you're currently on ADSL. You'll be getting UFB, and as part of this you get to *tell* Chorus where you want the ONT. It doesn't have to go in the same place your current wall-jack is for ADSL!

Put it somewhere closer to where you're going to have your Access Point!
    Also, keep in mind you'll no longer have a "Modem", it'll just be the Router / Access Point. Yes, you CAN have a PowerLine in between the two, BUT seeing as you don't yet have UFB it's pointless doing it that way and you'll only cause yourself headaches.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro