Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WiFi Range Extender

I have Fibre coming into my home thru a Vodafone HG659 Home Gateway. The reception in my wife's study, which is the otherside of the kitchen, is at best poor. I have a HG556a which previously handle VDSL, and I wonder if it is possible to set that up, say in the kitchen, to receive and redirect the signal from the HG659? Do-able? Problems I'll likely encounter?

TFYH
    GrahamB

Default Re: WiFi Range Extender

Wireless range extenders are almost never a good option. If you could run a cable from the Huawei modem to your other modem, and configure that second modem correctly (different IP, DHCP off) that will work the best.

If running a cable is not an option, you could try a Powerline kit - TP-Link make some nice ones. These work pretty well in most situations.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/search?sf=tp-link+powerline

Those HG659 are pretty average - if you are still with Vodafone, you could try and get one of their new Ultra Hubs - they seem a bit better, especially in the wireless department.

If you are really serious about improving things, a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and a couple of Ubiquiti UniFi-AC APs would run rings around your current setup, but is a bit more advanced to setup.
    Last edited by wratterus; 17-10-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

If you're considering running cable - why not simply run ethernet cable from the Huawei to the study PC?
    Either go where you're looking or look where you're going!

I'm not planning on 'Running Cable'. I want to know if a WiFi Gateway can be used as a Router, picking up and re-transmit a signal from the one being fed by the Fibre Connection.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    I'm not planning on 'Running Cable'. I want to know if a WiFi Gateway can be used as a Router, picking up and re-transmit a signal from the one being fed by the Fibre Connection.
    It probably would be possible but less likely to be reliable. The same function can be had with a range extender e.g. AC750 which is designed to do exactly what you want.
    Either go where you're looking or look where you're going!

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Wireless range extenders are almost never a good option. If you could run a cable from the Huawei modem to your other modem, and configure that second modem correctly (different IP, DHCP off) that will work the best.

If running a cable is not an option, you could try a Powerline kit - TP-Link make some nice ones. These work pretty well in most situations.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/search?sf=tp-link+powerline

Those HG659 are pretty average - if you are still with Vodafone, you could try and get one of their new Ultra Hubs - they seem a bit better, especially in the wireless department.

If running a cable is not an option, you could try a Powerline kit .
    Are these the ones that transmit over a standard 230V cable?

Wratterus has given good advice. Yes, the powerline devices just plug into normal power sockets.

The old modem/router cannot receive and re-transmit wireless signals.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    This option is worthwhile considering, especially if the house is on one level. you get a direct connection to your Router, giving the best signal strength, in addition it is the cheapest. Just buy a cord of suitable length, , drill a hole in the floor at each location and connect up. I have had this setup for years and found it excellent. A little bit of bog around the holes will stop tiny uninvited guests!

Most routers don't have the software to allow it to work as a repeater so the answer would be no. If however, your router could get the software/firmware, then you could.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Have you considered replacing the Vodafone router? I had the same issue and replaced the Vodafone supplied router with a TP-Link unit. Problem solved...

I was able to get Wi-Fi outside of my house down to the back fences which was a good 30 or so metres from the router location and up the driveway as well.

Could be something you can look into.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W