Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Wellington's Ngauranga Gorge speed camera reclaims title as NZ's top ticketer

Quote Originally Posted by plod View Post
    I will have to say Wainuiomata is a special case. Lived here for the last 4 years and its a totally different breed of driver over here.
    Mostly people are fine, theres always some idiots. There was someone just come past my place if they were doing 50 then I'm a millionaire -

The point I'm getting at is having speed cameras in a lot of areas are nothing but an easy money collection to ping people doing a couple of K's faster than they should be.

The cops wont actually concentrate on the real problems - Bad driving and blatant law breakers, one classic is people talking on the phone. Tonight down Queen street there was a cop parked up talking to some younger people, some lady who was talking on her phone got into her car, still talking, put on the seat belt, reversed out and drove away, still talking, the cop saw her and did nothing.

The entrance to the Strand by the churches ( you'll know the place Plod), the amount of near misses there is astounding, speed has nothing to do with anything there. But you never see the cops policing the area.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Default Re: Wellington's Ngauranga Gorge speed camera reclaims title as NZ's top ticketer

on the other hand speed cameras work. remove the cameras and there is no shortage of very messy crashes.
    if they can't watch their speed then they are certainly not doing all the other things it takes to drive a car safely.

the reason they focus on speed is because its an easy CHEAP way to improve safety. to catch and process them for other driving offenses is far more costly to do.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Mounting speed cameras on a downhill section of road/motorway is a gutless method of revenue gathering - period!!
    I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Mounting speed cameras on a downhill section of road/motorway is a gutless method of revenue gathering - period!!
    Surely if you can’t monitor and control your speed going down hill could be considered careless.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

As I stated above, watch the cars in front of you as you drive down the Gorge.

How many DON'T have their brake lights glowing?

Those that don't, know how how to drive a motor vehicle!
    I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.

I agree about engine braking on a downhill run but as I tried with SWMBO on our holiday last week, an auto transmission these days is a bit hard for her to master for that purpose. My 2016 Suzuki has only got PRNDM so she has to pull it back to M and use the paddles on the steering wheel to control the gearbox. Beyond her I'm afraid. The older autos had a 2nd gear position that she could use

She got really confused as opposed to me doing it easily!

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Instead of fines,for any driving offense, make the person resit their licience within a month or loose it . that would soon make a more of a difference.
    Thing is - That could remove the speeders - revenue gathers from the roads - resulting in severely reduced Govt income. Perhaps after a few speeding infringements - then resit. If multiple infringements, then vehicle confiscation maybe.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

No need to confiscate them just crush them at the owners property and leave on the drive for them to clear away

You do the crime, you do the time, or in this case, pay the fine.

I can’t see the problem, great little revenue gatherer.

I'd love to see the list of repeat offenders and their employmant status.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    You do the crime, you do the time, or in this case, pay the fine.I can’t see the problem, great little revenue gatherer. I'd love to see the list of repeat offenders and their employmant status.
    my son is a sucker for speed cameras. Been done by the same one 3 times outside griffins in Lower Hutt. Employment status is employed. Just hasn’t grasped the concept of wanting to keep his own money yet.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month