Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Computer is soooo slow!

I've been cleaning up friend's laptop - it's Toshiba Satellite L650. I formatted the drive and reinstalled Windows 7 from the recovery partition. I got rid of all the pre-installed bloatware, and minimised the Startup options.

This thing needs a minute to decide what to do when I try and input anything via mouse or keyboard.

It has a one TB hard drive, an i3 processor, and 4GB ram. Apparently it was a very sweet machine when new, and I would've thought that what Ive done to it should put it back to its ooriginal performance, but far from it. Any suggestions please?
    Kool-Aid Black Cherry! Get it here!

Default Re: Computer is soooo slow!

Has all the updates been applied?,would say there would be quite a few and not all applied at once

Any problems in Device manager? as there may be a Driver conflict

Could be several things, check to see if there are a million and one updates going on. A fresh install, there will be several years worth including manufacture updates ( if from a factory recovery).

Could also be a bad install, or even a faulty Drive - it happens sometimes.

Run Process Explorer if its not updating - to see whats running in the background https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...ocess-explorer
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I formatted the drive and reinstalled Windows 7 from the recovery partition. I got rid of all the pre-installed bloatware, and minimised the Startup options.
    ?
    Minimised? It should have one startup item - the anti-virus.
    Secondly, go to http://www.blackviper.com/ and follow the recommendations for whichever version of Windows it is.

Don't go all out, choose the SAFE version.
    This cuts out the unneeded junk MS has running in the background.

An i3 is a bit lame.......and yes, as Wainuitech says, check the drive.
    And how full it is....
    wipe your paws.

Also does windows 7 index the drive after a fresh install? that can slow things down for quite a while until it catches up.
    And yes an i3 might be a bit "lame" but that doesn't explain the slowness in itself. My NUC has a 2.1 Ghz 15W mobile i3 and it runs very well - due to the 8GB of RAM and mSATA SSD no doubt, relevant point is that a very slow i3 can still feel very snappy if everything else is doing it's thing correctly.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Also does windows 7 index the drive after a fresh install?
    Windows Telemetry can cause slowdowns on Win7 , MS sneaked in telemetry with a Win7 update
    Ive seen it cause REAL issues on 7.

Chances are the Hard drive has gone bad. Failing HD's can cause Win to slow to an absolute crawl, yet that slow HD will still pass every test you throw at it.
    Only way to tell is with a new HD

A clean Win7 install, should be pretty damn speedy on that machine, uninstall any AV , disconnect from the internet & see if its still too slow.
    Try disabling Winupdates ,Winupdates may be causing the slowdowns as it tries to download & install 2 years worth of updates :-)

Also, is it Win7 SP1 ?
    i3 is easily fast enough for every day light usage. Plenty of 7 machines with less CPU grunt than an i3

Make sure all the drivers are installed, the most important one being the screen driver. Make sure that it has service pack 1 installed. If not, turn off auto updates, download sp1 and install it.

Those laptops are from around 2010, The hard drive will be on its last legs the specs say a 500 GB 5400 RPM? an easy fix might be replacing the HD with a 240 GB SSD.
    NZ Digital TV Forum, Freeview NZ , etc
    http://www.nzdtv.com/

My two work computers are Dell Vostro 1015 which I bought in 2009. They both have all their original components except for added RAM. They have Intel Celeron dual core 1.8 Mghz processors, run well with W10 Pro. To say that something is no good because it is old is nonsense! I am 83, so I should be on the scrap heap?

Hard drive don't last for ever is the point and a new ssd drive is like magic on an older laptop
    NZ Digital TV Forum, Freeview NZ , etc
    http://www.nzdtv.com/