Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Golden Oldie

Default Re: Retirement Villages

As my old mum used to say, the companies operating retirement homes and complexes don't do it because they like and want to help elderly people, they are doing it to part them from their money and accumulated assets.

If you don't want to leave your money and assets to your ungrateful children, buy a unit in a retirement village, the operators will see to it that there is nothing left for the children to inherit.

Golden Oldie

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
    Everyone has to finish up somewhere.
    Packaged in an urn at a crematorium.

Bleakly Optomistic

Quote Originally Posted by KenESmith View Post
    Packaged in an urn at a crematorium.
    I think my sister has space for a few more bodies in her back yard.
    And as I'm typing this I'm looking at a retirement home. I've seen worse resorts.

Golden Oldie

And as I'm typing this I'm looking at a retirement home. I've seen worse resorts.

They are expensive places to live, after buying a Unit, one has ongoing not insignificant "Body Corporate" charges, and those villages that have a nursing unit to care for residents who have started the final big countdown, charge like wounded bulls, a bed in the Nursing unit makes room charges at the Sheraton seem like the bargain of the century, tough if your financial and saleable assets don't hang on as long as you do.

PS My wife worked as a nursing sister in such a nursing unit attached to one of these lifestyle villages - they charge like wounded bulls, and when you run out of money they take a lien on the unit, until there is nothing left. Great little money spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by KenESmith View Post
    PS My wife worked as a nursing sister in such a nursing unit attached to one of these lifestyle villages
    My friend worked in one too, as an aide, not a full RN.
    She told me about the lady with some early dementia who wanted to go home and die. Her home had been sold by the ungrateful children, and cause she used to get up and try, they tied her to the bed.
    So she'd scream.

Then they shipped her off to a more secure prison, oh sorry, old folks caring and lovely home.
    wipe your paws.

NZ doesn't really have the right way of doing things.
    The inlaws just came back from holland and we were talking about a place they have over there, with a special Village designd for people with dementia. Its completely self contained, and even though the montly charges may at first look high its actually not.

Finances are often one of the trickier life skills for dementia or Alzheimer’s patients to retain, which is why Hogewey takes it out of the equation; everything is included with the family’s payment plan, and there is no currency exchanged within the confines of the village.”
    Its more or less a small town, everything is provied.

This is a groundbreaking approach to treating dementia and Alzheimer's. In fact, Germany sent a delegation to study the Dutch village, and has already announced it is planning on building its first village in Bern. One is also being built in Switzerland and hopefully the U.S. won’t be far behind. The cost is comparable to a standard nursing home facility, yet the rewards are priceless.

http://twistedsifter.com/2015/02/ama...with-dementia/ and http://www.nextavenue.org/welcome-dementia-village/

Sure they cant get out, so it doesn't matter if someone goes for a wonder or forgets where they live, they'll get back to the right place in the end one way or another.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 10-10-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Louis Theroux did a doco on Alheizmers.
    Most people think it's just forgetting and that's it. Slightly out of it old people.

But it's a progression.
    You basically go backwards, until you are a baby.
    You forget how to read, you forget what numbers actually are, animals revert to being all a cat or dog, then nothing at all.
    You lose the ability to control bladder and bowels, you lose the ability to speak.

He was in the advanced ward, like a jail really, it has to be.
    One woman shuffled unsteadily up and down all day, mumbling bah, bah, bah like a baby.
    That was it.
    Couldn't feed herself, aware of nothing, no-one home.

It really is revolting and nasty.
    It's not just forgetful people living happily, they get far, far worse if they have the misfortune to live long enough.
    wipe your paws.

The end is usually unpleasant and there it is.
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Louis Theroux did a doco on Alheizmers.
    Most people think it's just forgetting and that's it. Slightly out of it old people.

But it's a progression.
    You basically go backwards, until you are a baby.
    You forget how to read, you forget what numbers actually are, animals revert to being all a cat or dog, then nothing at all.
    You lose the ability to control bladder and bowels, you lose the ability to speak.
    It's not just forgetful people living happily, they get far, far worse if they have the misfortune to live long enough.
    Ohh dear, that's the situation I'm in with my mother. She's 93 and is well down the path you've described.
    Problem is, the rest of her body is in great health, so she'll likely suffer a lot of that mental decline before her body lets her go.
    90% of the time she can appear fine, but she is definitely on that decline to being like a fully grown infant. The question is how long can she be safely cared for at home. She down't want to go into care, but is essentially in care at home, and I have to be on alert for every attempt to get to the toilet (and on occasion that can be 6 times per night). Given she often doesn't know who I am, or where the toilet is in her own home, I do wonder what she stands to lose if she were to be transferred into care. It won't be long before she doesn't recognise her own room or her own bed.
    She has spells of struggling to swallow, coughing up food and drink that she inhales instead of swallowing.
    How scary is it for them to be 'lost' in a world full of strangers, even when they are at home with family?

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    NZ doesn't really have the right way of doing things.
    The inlaws just came back from holland and we were talking about a place they have over there, with a special Village designd for people with dementia. Its completely self contained, and even though the montly charges may at first look high its actually not.

Its more or less a small town, everything is provied.

http://twistedsifter.com/2015/02/ama...with-dementia/ and http://www.nextavenue.org/welcome-dementia-village/

Sure they cant get out, so it doesn't matter if someone goes for a wonder or forgets where they live, they'll get back to the right place in the end one way or another.
    I have seen that special village, I haven't been inside it but from all accounts it seems to work well. I hope they are right.

Myself, if I ever get to that stage, then I hope to follow the thinking from The Gambler lyrics:

Every gambler knows
    That the secret to survivin'
    Is knowin' what to throw away
    And knowin' what to keep
    'Cause every hand's a winner
    And every hand's a loser
    And the best that you can hope for
    Is to die in your sleep"