Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Win10 Update ...???

Mine's just on whatever the default setting is and the only time I usually notice updates is when I shut down, and then occasionally when I start up the next day. But it's never been more than a few minutes in the morning that I recall. Overall it's largely unobtrusive.
    Certainly it's not constantly updating for long periods of time the way some people seem to have experienced. The way you hear it described seems like a wild exaggeration compared to my experience with 4 pcs running windows 10. I guess some people are just unlucky.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Mine's just on whatever the default setting is and the only time I usually notice updates is when I shut down, and then occasionally when I start up the next day. But it's never been more than a few minutes in the morning that I recall. Overall it's largely unobtrusive.
    Certainly it's not constantly updating for long periods of time the way some people seem to have experienced. The way you hear it described seems like a wild exaggeration compared to my experience with 4 pcs running windows 10. I guess some people are just unlucky.
    That's how ALL the Computers here act as well. Only once Have I seen a message pop up saying it needs to restart, and even then you have the option "Restart Later".

Some users are their own worst enemies -- Some never shutdown or restart OR do any maintenance at all,so when ever updates need to go in and a restart required it takes a LOT longer.

There's a REALLY SIMPLE way to stop windows restarting ( it's known as get to know your PC /Settings) Alter the Active hours --Real rocket science

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Active_Hours.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	8334
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-10-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Its not Win restarting thats the issue, yes that can be delayed (now , after MS finally gave us that option)

Its the time it takes to restart after a major update.
    If its a major update ( a new build ver) , then it can take 1/2 hour plus . For those in a hurry, needing to get an urgent email out the rush off to work, thats a major issue .

And yes, these major updates can take HOURS to install. Ive seen it .

2 brand new laptops , different brands. Setting both up at the same time. Ran winupdate on both.
    1 took bgger all time to restart & install updates , the other took 4 hours , yep 4 hours sitting there struggling with a major update.

Lets not pretend that Winupate doesnt sometimes cause all sorts of issues on 10 .
    Lets not forget the particular model allin1 that a 10 update left them in an usable state (but fixable) , or the particular printers (cough cough HP) that
    was left unusable after a version update .

Yes I accept there are real issues with windows update at times. I just wanted to share a counter point of how well it works for many of us because these threads often give the impression that it happens constantly to almost everyone which just isn't true.
    I've been using windows 10 since release on multiple machines and in all that time have not experienced more than a very minor occasional delay waiting for updates to finish. The only time I've seen it take very long is when I'm shutting it down - and I just walk away and leave it so that doesn't bother me.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

It should also be noted that the longer you wait between updates and upgrades the more time it will take to install those updates and upgrades when you do eventually decide to install.

The fact that it takes long has more to do with the system making sure (or at least trying to make sure) there is minimal disruption... I concede that this sometimes doesn't happen for all users out there but believe it or not MS have been trying to make this a reality and have come a long way over the years. Windows Update will check for prerequisites and superseded updates etc. before applying new ones this will inevitably prolong the time and in some cases updates have to be removed before the superseding ones can be installed. MS has progressively built this into its update process so that if you do need to restart you only need to restart once (or as few times as possible) the caveat being that post reboot may be a bit of a wait.

Personally, I think this is way better than say under Windows 7/8 where it would be quite common place for the machine to reboot multiple times to install a single set of downloaded updates.

I recently, did some work for a client.... Windows 10 migration, I built an MDT and a WSUS server for them. I built a standard OS image but had trouble adding the 1511/1607 and 1703 upgrades to the image initially. Eventually I managed to progress through images from 1503--->1703. Updating systems via WSUS from the original 1503 build to the 1703 build took significantly longer than those from say 1607 to 1703. So the fewer hops you have between update/upgrade installs the less likely you will experience lengthy post update reboots.

I have always left all my Windows 10 machines (laptops and desktops) on their default Windows update settings and I can honestly say that I've never had any issues with long reboots and I believe this is because I have left Windows Update to do its thing. In fact 2 months ago I updated a laptop which hadn't been in use for about 8 months so it was still on 1511, updating to 1703 to like 4 hours and there were multiple reboots with lengthy wait periods in between. My other machine which I use daily upgraded from 1607 to 1703 in about 20 minutes and there was no delay after reboot.

I know not everyone will agree but this is just my own experience. Windows updates can be a pain for sure, but if you use it as intended and set it up to meet your needs in terms of timing it is likely not going to be the villainous abomination so many people say it is.

Asus P8Z77-VL X
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus CPU Water Cooler
    32GB DDR3
    2 x 250GB SSD, 3 x 2TB WD Enterprise HDD
    Asus DVD/RW
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970
    Coolermaster Centurion Case & 550W PSU
    Windows 10 Pro

Fully agree with what both Dugimodo & Chiefnz posted

While some people seem to have problems all the time, on most occasions if its actually looked into you find the real cause, and its not the actual updates doing their thing

How many times do techs go back to someone's place, and when investigating a problem you find simple things you have advised to do to maintain a smooth running machine have they not done, OR more to case the last time something was done was the last time you were there ( say a year previous).

W10 overall is far more stable than any of the other OS's.-- As proof -- Take this forum, look back over the years and now look since W10 came out - there are a lot fewer posts relating to W10 problems than previous OS's. Even the general workload has gone down , far less ACTUAL W10 problems than XP, Vista, W7 W8 etc.

There's more failures due to hardware or infections than the actual OS. Just did a quick look, going back over the last 35 jobs NONE have been related to W10 directly, any problems were caused by something else. (mostly upgrades to W10 or hardware related).
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Most of the 10's Ive had to fix have been due to a bggered version update or fast start : fast not start :-)
    The major ver updates cause the most issues, that Ive seen , but usually if I do that via latest DVD it goes without a hitch .

More reliable, or just better hardware, drivers, & less user fiddling .
    A well built Win7 , with SSD & lots of RAM is pretty solid, if kept uncluttered with crap .

Given how many 10's are out there & how few need repair, yeah its reliable . But so is the XP that Im still using

My experience is also very positive. I have 4 active here and they all update as they are supposed to. I am also surprised that the 18 or so I have upgraded for people never have needed my later attention for update problems. Or any other OS problems for that matter.

I don't have any problems with my Insider comp either. It is my main driver (but I do have good macrium images on hand!).

But there are a few on the Insider forum I am on that regularly seem to have update problems. Some machines/people just seem to attract the negatives.

As irony would have it, I have just had a popup on this notebook screen telling me I am ready for an update restart!!

So, over and out.

Yawn... 8 min from restart to desktop.

There is one thing about the updates I have noticed (well had it happen many times on customers computers) A Lot still had not upgraded from 1607 to 1703, they have only just started to come through, half a dozen this week so far.

Most that have not upgraded have been on wireless connections. The few that were on a ethernet connection, there is also a pattern ------people start their computers, basically look at the email, maybe have a quick look at some news site then shut down------Problem not being on long enough to actually complete downloads, most average users don't have a clue how to manually check for updates.