Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Recording TV Programmes

Quote Originally Posted by smithie 38 View Post
    I am thinking of ditching Sky and going to Freeview. I would like to purchase a satellite recorder, but looking at some of the reviews on recorders I am not so sure now. Any comments from those who use them, and recommendation please

Smithie
    Considering doing the same until I looked at what was available on Freeview, and it is utter crap. So will have to stay with Sky until they go broke, or Freeview improves dramatically.

I used a TiVo for years, great device pity about it being useless soon. But for probably the last year I have stopped watching broadcast TV at all - recorded or otherwise. Now I just stream everything or use that other method we can't discuss here.
    Recorded TV is better than broadcast TV. A Stream that never had adds in it to begin with and can be watched whenever you want is even better. I know it's not for everyone but I can't see me ever going back to watching TV more than very occasionally.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Haven't used one myself, but the Panasonic DMR-HWT260GN seems to be the best option.

Edit - sorry, I see you said satellite. Are you not in a Freeview|HD coverage area?
    Yes I am but having a Sky dish I thought I would use that.

You are far, far better off getting a UHF aerial. You can use all the same cabling. More channels, way better quality on HD channels and many more options for decoders etc.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Most of the current TV channels are available on demand though don't know about recording them(don't need too)

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    We often record a TV programme, sometimes we are not home to watch the programme and sometimes there are two programmes on that we want to watch, both on at the same time so we record one and watch the other.

The big advantage of recording a TV programme is that we don't have to watch the commercials. We have a button on our recorder that when pressed, on playback, advances the recording 30 seconds - the length of a commercial - and if we press it eight times - there are eight commercials most times - we are back with the programme after less than eight seconds. On average an hour long programme can be watched in hour. Did you realise there was that many commercials?

Do many other people record programmes? Let us know your experiences.
    2 Panasonic HD & DVD connected to 2 tvs'. 1 lounge 1 bedroom.

Can record 2 programs at once on both machines. Same time for the 2 different channels. Doing that now on lounge HD and watching BUNGAY.

Will go and record Killed BF on Bravo on bedroom machine. Copy this to DVD and watch in lounge at some stage.

If programs in lounge not worth watching, then we play a program on HD or DVD facility.

By the way we managed to fluke reloading Maori and Te REo into the scheme of things, think we pressed the AV to get it, lol.

lurking.

Computer Tech

Got a quad satellite tuner in my server at home.
    Can watch/record all channels all at the same time if I want to.
    Apple TV 4 used to watch live tv, recordings and set recordings etc.
    Plus all the other stuff you can do on an Apple TV 4.

We are very old hat. My better half has a dedicated PC with W7 and Windows Media Centre. Works for her, even though its getting pretty long in the tooth. She has a little moan about trying to fast forward the ads, without screwing things up, but mostly it's OK. (first computer I put together myself)

Probably look at a Kodi based install if WMC starts misbehaving too much, it does throw a wobbly every now and then.

Golden Oldie

I can't really see the point.
    A. Most TV programmes are crap.
    B. They are bound to be repaeted 2 - 3 times every year for a decade or so.

Who says opportunity doesn't knock twice
    With TV it keeps on knocking giving one repeated opportunities to see programmes one made the point of not seeing the first and second times round.

In Brisbane, we have 18 free to air channels, and one is hard pushed to find 10 hours a week of programmes that are worth watching the first time around, and one knows they will be repeated ad nauseum.
    Most TV in Australia is aimed at the brain dead. After all they do make up a large percentage of TV viewing audiences.
    Last edited by KenESmith; 09-10-2017 at 10:03 PM.