Default Why has my ping time increased?

When I first got VDSL my ping was about 16ms. These days it is usually 40-50ms. I'm not a gamer so in practical terms it really doesn't matter, but I'm interested why it might have deteriorated.

I should also say that as my Ping has slowed, my download speed as increased. Is there a connection there?
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: Why has my ping time increased?

With ddDLM now being active, this can cause changes in sync speeds and potentially minor changes in ping times. How are you testing the ping, and to what location? 40ms is still quite pretty good to anywhere in NZ.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Maybe something changed at the ISP end or in the profile being used. Some settings like interleaving can help with stability but seriously increase latency.
    I'm kind of the opposite, as a gamer I used to employ all kinds of tweaks to attempt to lower my pings but over time it has gotten low enough just by default that I no longer bother and I swear it just keeps getting better.

I can't even remember the details of my old tweaks, there was something about making windows acknowledge every packet instead of every second one, and adjusting the MTU size, and various other things specific to each game.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    With ddDLM now being active, this can cause changes in sync speeds and potentially minor changes in ping times. How are you testing the ping, and to what location? 40ms is still quite pretty good to anywhere in NZ.
    I test it with Speedtest. I just use the default location. I'm not complaining about the ping, just interested in why it might have changed - as I said, in practical terms it makes no difference.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Basically the DSLAM is trying to give you the best speeds, while making sure your connection is as stable as possible. Restarting your modem can have detrimental effects by having it think you've got a line fault, so it'll increase the interleaving to try accommodate that.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Basically the DSLAM is trying to give you the best speeds, while making sure your connection is as stable as possible. Restarting your modem can have detrimental effects by having it think you've got a line fault, so it'll increase the interleaving to try accommodate that.
    I'm not sure I understand all that. What is the connection between ping and stability? And why did you mention restarting the modem - that is something I very rarely do. So does increasing the interleaving increase my ping?

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Basically if you restart your modem, then the local exchange / cabinet notices and presumes there must be a reason for it: Line problems
    So what it does is it increases the interleaving on your line so that they can try and give you a more stable connection. Sometimes it'll slow down the speed that you sync at too.

With the increase in interleaving, your latency increases. If interleaving is disabled entirely, your connection will have the lowest possible latency.
    http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answe...ts-benefits%3F
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Basically if you restart your modem, then the local exchange / cabinet notices and presumes there must be a reason for it: Line problems
    So what it does is it increases the interleaving on your line so that they can try and give you a more stable connection. Sometimes it'll slow down the speed that you sync at too.

With the increase in interleaving, your latency increases. If interleaving is disabled entirely, your connection will have the lowest possible latency.
    http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answe...ts-benefits%3F
    Thanks for that. So does the cabinet eventually decide I don't have line problems and decrease the interleaving, or am I stuck with it for ever? I notice Vodafone says in the link that it can't be turned off with VDSL, but do I have any control at all?

Best things you can do are to make sure your line is as good as it can be - this means a master splitter to be installed if it isn't already, and getting a UPS for the modem isn't a bad idea either, however if there is a widespread power outage I think the cabinet will know about this and it shouldn't make any drastic changes.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."