Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile I know not computers.

but any TV repair guys here?
    Gota LG 32LN541B-TB 4 1/2 year old telly and picture died.
    Took into shop today and said LED's have died.
    Interested to know how long they last as I have an LG TV thats 25 year old going strong????
    Been sent away for repair, but just wanting to know?

Default Re: I know not computers.

I was under the impression LEDs last a very long time normally, perhaps it's the circuitry that drives the LEDs rather than the LED's themselves.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I was under the impression LEDs last a very long time normally, perhaps it's the circuitry that drives the LEDs rather than the LED's themselves.
    Yes that possible.
    As you say, LED do last a while.
    We was a bit hacked off, with retailer.
    We purchase January 14 with extended warranty.
    Said was 3 year extended, so thinking TV had 1 year warranty so 3 year extended should me we covered.
    But they said no.
    Not fair.
    We took it back, this morning & they send away for assessment.
    I "spoke" to LG & asked how long their TV's last and he would,t say

Its' all LUCK!

Red face Re: I know not computers.

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Its' all LUCK!
    Dont think so.
    Fired up our 25 year old LG and works good.
    Not be touch for a few years and has better sound that our latter LG

I would have thought the Consumer Guarantees Act would cover this. In this day and age TV's should not break down for at least 10 years+, I would have thought!!

Wink Re: I know not computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
    I would have thought the Consumer Guarantees Act would cover this. In this day and age TV's should not break down for at least 10 years+, I would have thought!!
    That's what I told an assistant manger this morning.
    He said they had to find out from LG how long they will last.
    I did an email chat with LG this morning and asked repeatedly how long they should last & he wouldn't say.
    Manager said after assessment they will have to find out from LG.
    Assistant manger admitted that the old TV lasted a lot longer.
    I guess its like cellphones, mine the user cant replace the battery, so after 3 years or so will be stuffed.
    I have a 5 year old smartphone that still works and have spare battery. but battery still going????????

Manufacturers don't like our Consumer laws much and try to avoid them very often. The trouble is the law doesn't put a number on it, rather just says something along the lines of must be fit for the purpose and last a reasonable time.
    The debate starts when you try to figure out what a "reasonable time" is. Anyway it's often worth making noises about if you are the sort of person to do that as many times they will make an offer rather than risk it going to court.

LG don't get to dictate what constitutes a reasonable time and neither do you, you either agree between yourselves or take it to a court. Consumer might be a good place to get advice for this sort of thing.

Me I'm a pushover, if it's out of warranty I tend to just accept it. Then again I wouldn't get it fixed, I'd use it as an excuse to get a better one. that's just me.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Smile Re: I know not computers.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Manufacturers don't like our Consumer laws much and try to avoid them very often. The trouble is the law doesn't put a number on it, rather just says something along the lines of must be fit for the purpose and last a reasonable time.
    The debate starts when you try to figure out what a "reasonable time" is. Anyway it's often worth making noises about if you are the sort of person to do that as many times they will make an offer rather than risk it going to court.

LG don't get to dictate what constitutes a reasonable time and neither do you, you either agree between yourselves or take it to a court. Consumer might be a good place to get advice for this sort of thing.

Me I'm a pushover, if it's out of warranty I tend to just accept it. Then again I wouldn't get it fixed, I'd use it as an excuse to get a better one. that's just me.
    I just did an online chat with CAB and they seem to think an LED LCD should last 12 years.
    Said best think is wait until assessment comes back and then see what happens.

How long do they last ? may be irrelevant. Even if av was 20years, will allways have a few that fail before then , like yours.

People want cheap,
    people dont say I'll pay 5x for something built to last & thoroughly inspected & bench tested before at the factory

4.5 years , for a cheap TV, I wouldnt be too surprised that it failed.
    Chances of getting a warranty repair would be zero , unless you are willing to go to disputes tribunal.

It could be fixed, but less & less are doing that sort of repair . The repair industry died , as people just went & bought new stuff because of the cost of repairs