Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Computer Tech

Default Re: What do I need for email domain name?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Ok .... so you can't use your own gmail and get it to check your own domain email too?

I have a gmail account but also use it to check my clear.net that works. Is this different?
    Yea you can do that, get a free gmail account to grab mail from another account.
    But the email that it's grabbing has to be hosted somewhere.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Yea you can do that, get a free gmail account to grab mail from another account.
    But the email that it's grabbing has to be hosted somewhere.
    Yes Zohomail is one free option. Then I use Gmail or Outlook.com. This will allow me the more GBs right?

re forwarding to gmail etc

you will receive it as @your.shiney.new.domain
    but will it send/reply as @your.shiney.new.domain ?
    ie , will replies be seen as from @gmail , or seen as coming from gmail servers : & then risk the recipient not recognizing that @gmail reply & deleting it.

If going to the trouble of making a email domain name, for business purposes, do it properly : hosted exchange isnt expensive .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    re forwarding to gmail etc

you will receive it as @your.shiney.new.domain
    but will it send/reply as @your.shiney.new.domain ?
    ie , will replies be seen as from @gmail , or seen as coming from gmail servers : & then risk the recipient not recognizing that @gmail reply & deleting it.

If going to the trouble of making a email domain name, for business purposes, do it properly : hosted exchange isnt expensive .
    When you reply to a Domain email in Gmail, the return address is that of your Domain. The receiver has no clue that it has actually come from Gmail.
    eg: one of my addresses is kenyapag@kenyapages.net.nz, when I receive the email through Gmail, my address is in the TO: field, when I reply it is in the FROM: field. No mention is made of Gmail.

Computer Tech

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    When you reply to a Domain email in Gmail, the return address is that of your Domain. The receiver has no clue that it has actually come from Gmail.
    eg: one of my addresses is kenyapag@kenyapages.net.nz, when I receive the email through Gmail, my address is in the TO: field, when I reply it is in the FROM: field. No mention is made of Gmail.
    Yea but your own domain name emails are still being hosted somewhere, and just being forwarded to your gmail account, or gmail is picking them up for you.
    You might want to check because emails you send using your own domain name may in fact be showing as something like: blahblah@gmail.com on behalf of kenyapag@kenyapages..... - I think it depends on where you send the email to.