Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default What do I need for email domain name?

After paying $15-25 for the domain name, it has email forwarding. I would be using a web service like Gmail to administer it. Is there anything else I need?

I would like a few email addresses like 3-5.

Hopefully when the emails are forwarded to Gmail, I won't need that much storage.

Cheers.

Default Re: What do I need for email domain name?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    After paying $15-25 for the domain name, it has email forwarding. I would be using a web service like Gmail to administer it. Is there anything else I need?

I would like a few email addresses like 3-5.

Hopefully when the emails are forwarded to Gmail, I won't need that much storage.

Cheers.
    Once you have a domain name, somewhere in the hosts setting there will be the option to setup email accounts, they are all different as the hosts don't all use the same interface.

Example: my domain is hosted with Webdrive - when I login and click on the email ( on the left) there's options to manage emails, New, Remove, Alter etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webdrive.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	8266
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

You can have your Domain hosted for Email only then:-
    1] You can use the Host's web-mail service.
    2] You can set up a client program (Thunderbird, Forte-Agent, Sea Monkey, Opera etc)
    3] Have it diverted to Gmail (the Domain addresses will be retained)

Wanderer

Ok, thanks I might have left out the hosting part after buying the domain name. Not all of them provide email hosting or they do with extra fees attached.

Edit. If they provide free email forwarding I still need email hosting right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Ok, thanks I might have left out the hosting part after buying the domain name. Not all of them provide email hosting or they do with extra fees attached.

Edit. If they provide free email forwarding I still need email hosting right?
    They will charge you for hosting the Domain for email only, which is at a smaller rate than website hosting. If they are hosting a website you will be allowed many email accounts.

Computer Tech

If you want your domain email on gmail you'll need to pay for google g suite, which starts at us$5 per month per email account.
    You could also look at the free Zoho mail, which I use and seems to work well.
    You do only get 5gb of email storage though, on their free account, per email address.

I have a domain name, had it for years, I amend the MX record at the domain hosters to point to Google.
    Then the email is setup via gmail.

Costs me nothing, that may not be the case now, dunno, but it didn't when I did it and it doesn't now.

Should be instructions on changing MX records for your email on the domain help pages, you don't need the domain companies email services....
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    If you want your domain email on gmail you'll need to pay for google g suite, which starts at us$5 per month per email account.
    You could also look at the free Zoho mail, which I use and seems to work well.
    You do only get 5gb of email storage though, on their free account, per email address.
    Not so. If you use the Chrome Browser you can open a gmail account free, and include your Domain mail in the settings. I have 3 Domains on Gmail, doesn't cost anything.

Computer Tech

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    Not so. If you use the Chrome Browser you can open a gmail account free, and include your Domain mail in the settings. I have 3 Domains on Gmail, doesn't cost anything.
    I know they used to offer domain email hosting for free but not anymore.
    You might be able to use your own domain email for a google account but you won't receive email to it on gmail.

Wanderer

Ok .... so you can't use your own gmail and get it to check your own domain email too?

I have a gmail account but also use it to check my clear.net that works. Is this different?