Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Windows 10 update and third party updates

Hi

Running Windows 10, or rather it is running me...

I have recently had two instances where Windows update installed (or rather stuffed up installed) updates to third party software - Acrobat Reader and Displaylink. In the first instance, this prevented Acrobat Reader from opening and running. The only fix I could think of (which was successful) was uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of the software from Adobe. In the case of the Displaylink software, Microsoft appears to have incompletely installed two identical updates. Again, uninstalling and reinstalling from the vendor were the only ways of fixing this.

I recall that many people on this forum are anti Microsoft installing any third party software updates, but I cannot find a way of preventing this with Win10.

Is there a way that I can do this? Thank you for any assistance.

Default Re: Windows 10 update and third party updates

Generally its actually the third party programs that trigger the updates. Just installed the crap Adobe reader and then ran windows updates - Nothing. But run the updater from within adobe and there were new ones. Any updates that come through from Microsoft are actually from the programs manufactures, not directly from MS.

Can you please show this
    Microsoft appears to have incompletely installed two identical updates
    Go into the updates /History take a screen shot of the updates, post back.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Thanks wainuitech. Here is the screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (1).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	8250  

TA! , the top one (adobe) was flash Player, not Adobe reader, so why that went bottom up, who knows.

The updates - Drivers there's several ways, one of the easier is to go to http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-ba...es-windows-10/ Scroll down to Block Driver Update or direct link wushowhide.diagcab Click on open with (default) then OK, when it goes through, you have the option to stop driver updates, select the ones you want to stop.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Good grief. Talk about leaping to assumptions or whatever! Acrobat wouldn't open, even though it had been fine prior to the update. I looked at the update history and just saw Adobe and didn't read the whole line. Dur! I must have the concentration span of Trump.

As far as the Displaylink software was concerned, the PC kept saying that a new update for that software had been installed and a restart was necessary. Despite restarts and shutdowns and reboots, the prompt wouldn't go away, and reboots were incredibly slow and there was much faffing around between the laptop and the external monitor about which should be the active display, so something had gone wrong there. When I saw that Microsoft seemed to have installed the update twice, I assumed that was the cause of the issues (rightly or wrongly).
    At least with the uninstalls with Revo, and reinstalls, things are smooth again. I want to try to stop any other nasty surprises like this, so will explore your suggestions.

Thanks wainuitech - brilliant as ever. John.

I have Windows 10 on three computers. In each case after I installed it I allowed it to update and activate. If everything was working I used 'group policy' editor (you can reach it through 'windows tools' in Revo installer, or search for 'group'. Disable 'configure automatic updates'. You can still update any time you want to. It will not prevent automatic antivirus updates. Open Device manager, if there are any drivers missing, indicated by a yellow mark, right click on it and select 'Update driver'. With most 3rd party software you have the option of disabling auto updates. For instance, Revo, you should untick 'look for updates', otherwise you will be nagged to purchase Revo Pro. I can here Wainuitech growling from here

Hardly Growling at all, smiling --yep ALL my software I use the auto updates is the one thing I disable. Adobe is the worst, it always wants to auto update, BUT I always select the option in flash update --notify me of updates ( similar wording) When it pops up I decide depending on what I'm doing to either allow or not.

On a couple of W10's I have the updates disabled --- Home doesn't have group plolicy so simply use a .bat files I have, run it as admin, disables updates -- to enable run another .bat file and turns it back on.

W10 now has the option to disable all updates, BUT it only lasts for a 35 days then turns back on again. The .bat files I use disable it till I want it back on

Sounds similar to what win10 creators update does with Sumatra PDF.

I think the latest version was meant to fix it. It doesn't. You can install it. But, it won't stick as the default PDF reader

I use the Chrome Browser so don't need Adobe Flash or a PDF reader. I also sometimes use an early version (4) of Foxit reader, which strangely enough is happy with Windows 10. Foxit V7 crashes, and V8 is bloated, slow to load. At the moment I am using a Neverware Chromebook double booting with W10. No problems, excellent!

Thanks for the other contributions. I have a paid up copy of Revo - I can't recall what prompted me to pay up but it has always seemed to be such a good quality and very useful piece of software. I will have a hunt for the update facility as explained by mzee. Thanks for that.

Speedy - I installed the win10 creators update and all the problems I have had date from that time - until then, Win10 has been fine. The first problems were grindingly slow boot times; non-recognition of the Displaylink software, so the computer would only display on the laptop screen rather than the external monitor; refusal to open a range of programmes (including Firefox) unless I ignored any quicklinks and went back to the parent directory for the programme and did a right click/run as administrator. Eventually most problems just went away, except for the recent issues that were the prompt for this thread.

I used to use either Sumatra or Foxit, but for some reason went back to Adobe Acrobat Reader - perhaps because it was simpler at the time when I set up this laptop. I haven't seen a need to change since.

Thanks once again.