Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default Best way to sell iPod?

Thinking of selling my old 20 Gig iPod on Trademe. It is generation 4, I believe. Whilst it still goes, the battery does not really hold the power. So I thought I would check out the price of a battery.
    On Amazon UK they offer one for NZ$21 + $7 post = approx $28. The local dealer in the arcade says $120 - eeek! Now I like to support local business, but ..........! Of course they may be different
    types of battery.

Am not sure about the whole business, including whether to replace the battery. Obviously I would mention if I did not replace that it was not good in that respect. I have two custom speakers in a Katmandu case to go with it, plus the two cords for charging and connecting to the PC or laptop. How much to ask for, reserve etc, seems to be hugely variable. Some are advertising, but seemingly too high for similar devices, which seems to indicate that they are not too worried about selling. Any thoughts on how much I should ask for etc? Any advice will be gratefully received.
    Last edited by Misty; 01-09-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Affinity 1.6
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.0
    Elements+
    AZZ Cardfile

Default Re: Best way to sell iPod?

For me personally I think smartphones have made the ipod redundant so I can't imagine there's a big demand.
    I'd just look at everything similar on trademe and use that as a price guide, you can always list it week by week and keep dropping the price until someone bites. I'm doing that with an AIO PC nobody seems interested in.

The battery is a catch 22, I don't think it's worth spending money on but it is a lot less likely to sell as is.

Anyway that's my I'm not sure it's anything you didn't already know
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Doing a quick Check on trademe, ipod generation 4 are going for about $100-$200, there are a couple that are a lot cheaper, but who knows what condition they are in.

As for the "Now I like to support local business" While that is true Or the NZ suppliers, sometimes it depends on what you are doing and is it really worth it.

I my self have gotten parts from overseas, an example I was after a Keyboard For an old asus Laptop I have here, to get it from the NZ suppliers it was going to be approx. $52-$80. Ended up getting one in from Aliexpress, $19.09 Landed to the front door, only down side took 2 weeks to get here.

Other times the NZ suppliers simply don't have parts so get them from overseas or the NZ suppliers prices are way over the top.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 01-09-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    On Amazon UK they offer one for NZ$21 + $7 post = approx $28. The local dealer in the arcade says $120 - eeek! Now I like to support local business, but ..........! Of course they may be different
    types of battery.
    Good luck trying to get a batt sent to NZ.
    Its now actually illegal to send (they are classified as dangerous goods), and many postal services & international couriers wont allow them.
    Most reputable overseas sellers simply wont sell batts to NZ .

Some will sell it to you regardless, but it may never make it out of their country . Thats from experience , Ive had several batt orders rejected at the international border
    Also, if detected on arrival to NZ, it WILL be confiscated & destroyed .

They can only be sent as dangerous goods (ie expensive special courier), most couriers & airlines(cargo) simply wont allow them .
    Take the chance, but accept you may never revive it

Anyway, I would think a ipod with a dud batt would be almost worthless .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Good luck trying to get a batt sent to NZ.
    Its now actually illegal to send (they are classified as dangerous goods), and many postal services & international couriers wont allow them.
    Most reputable overseas sellers simply wont sell batts to NZ .
    That also raises another question -- At what point are they going to ban taking laptops, tablets and phones on aircraft ( either on person or packed in baggage), most these days have some sort of Lithium battery ?

Seems some things are let through , got this in July, even had a NZ customs stamp. ( the power pack, not the phones)

Solar Charger External Battery 20000mAh Dual USB LED light Portable Power Bank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powerpack.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	8248
    Last edited by wainuitech; 01-09-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Doing a quick Check on trademe, ipod generation 4 are going for about $100-$200, there are a couple that are a lot cheaper, but who knows what condition they are in.
    So was that sold ones, or I want $100-$200?
    I always check the expired listings to see what the average sold rate was....

But if it is, then I would buy the Amazon battery then list it.

Bugger NZ retailers, I can't wait for Aussie Amazon.
    wipe your paws.

Try the ipod first as is. It is surprising the price some phones (I know you are selling an ipod, not a phone....) are selling for with stated defects. Obviously there are some people fine with buying them and fixing them themselves. You are unlikely to recover the cost of a new battery on top of the price you might get selling it as is, if you decide to replace the battery yourself and auction it. You can still go this route if it does not sell.

If my ipod dies, I will probably replace it with another rather than use my phone. An ipod is smaller and thinner to carry than a phone if you only want music. And I only need to recharge it weeklly. I think the market will exist for some time yet otherwise they wouldn't be bringing out new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    That also raises another question -- At what point are they going to ban taking laptops, tablets and phones on aircraft ( either on person or packed in baggage), most these days have some sort of Lithium battery ?

Seems some things are let through , got this in July, even had a NZ customs stamp. ( the power pack, not the phones)

Solar Charger External Battery 20000mAh Dual USB LED light Portable Power Bank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Powerpack.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	8248
    Had one of those solar chargers for ages works great for what I need it to do.

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Many thanks for all your helpful replies. I think I will let it run until flat so I can give a measure to potential buyers. Will initially list as is.
    Affinity 1.6
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.0
    Elements+
    AZZ Cardfile