Default PC no longer sees internet

I have an old IBM pc running Windows 10 home. It isn't used much except for my son playing Rocket League on steam and for our media server. It has been happily connected to the net until a few days ago when I noticed Steam was in offline mode. It's still got no internet even 2 or 3 days later.

It's still connected to the network as I can browse the media server from my iPad and Roku etc, but no internet. All our other devices connect to the same router wirelessly and have no issues, full internet access. Just the pc had no internet. The PC is the only wired device. I can also access the router web interface from the PC

I have restarted the computer, the network device, the router, switched router sockets and network cable but still no internet. I haven't yet tried connecting laptop to cable to see if I still get internet on that. I'll try that in the morning.

Any other suggestions? Could it be Windows rather than hardware? Where should I look? I don't think anything was installed (but 13yo son, do anything could have happened I guess...) I'll check that tomorrow also.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Default Re: PC no longer sees internet

Two things to check:
    1. open the device manager, under Network adapters look to see if there are a whole lot of new ones, you should only have 1 (2 or 3 if you have wireless/bluetooth - maybe more if you use a VPN as well, but they will be labeled ) if there are any others, right click each one at a time, uninstall the lot (leave the drivers if prompted), reboot, the OS will put back what's required.

2. If that doesn't work or no extras. click the search, type in Network Reset -- open, click on "Reset Now" The Connection should appear with a big red X almost right away, then You'll get a message after a short while saying your computer will reboot in 5 minutes, (Wait for the message first) then just manually reboot now instead. On rebooting it will reload the network, you'll get the windows on the right open asking to make the computer discoverable -- click YES. You will need to put back any static ip address you may have had.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 30-08-2017 at 05:56 PM.

13 year old + PC used for gaming : expect the worst .
    First thing is to run a full AV & Malware scan . Look in control panel & see if any programs have recently been installed

no. 1) : try a laptop on that same cable the PC is is using
    no. 2 ) control panel : internet : reset
    no. 3) try a system restore
    :-)

Check that 10 hasnt changed the Network card driver
    run ipconfig /all : look at gateway & DNS
    Change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 & test
    Look at firewall settings. If you have some sort of 'internet security' suite , uninstall it . Uninstall any 3rd party firewall
    Uninstall any 3rd party AV as a test (could be blocking internet) . Reset windows firewall , disable it as a test .
    open a cmd prompt & run: ping www.google.com . If that works then the PC is actually connecting OK, its a software issue.

VoidMaster

It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Check the network card to see if it automatically assigns the addresses, the dns should be the router ip and you can manually specify dns at the router if needs be.

Check routers dhcp setting and ensure theres enough addresses to assign.

Would also make sure a firewall isn't stopping you, disable it while setting up and testing, and if it works, turn it back on and test. If it stops the internet, configure the firewall.

You can eliminate cable since you can reach the web interface of the router, must also mean the ip is correct and gateway correct, so its looking like a firewall, try pinging/nslookup google, might be tcp/ip blocked or bad dns.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Two things to check:
    1. open the device manager, under Network adapters look to see if there are a whole lot of new ones, you should only have 1 (2 or 3 if you have wireless/bluetooth - maybe more if you use a VPN as well, but they will be labeled ) if there are any others, right click each one at a time, uninstall the lot (leave the drivers if prompted), reboot, the OS will put back what's required.
    This worked, thanks wainuitech I removed the VPN adapters added by Hotspot Shield (actually I removed every adapter, even the Ethernet adapter). Restarted and it added back the physical adapter and everything working again I may need to reinstall Hotspot Shield to make sure that works OK, although it probably isn't needed on that PC anyway.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    13 year old + PC used for gaming : expect the worst .
    Nowhere near 13 years old - maybe 3 or 4, if that. It's an HP ex-lease (not IBM like I said in my OP).

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    This worked, thanks wainuitech I removed the VPN adapters added by Hotspot Shield (actually I removed every adapter, even the Ethernet adapter). Restarted and it added back the physical adapter and everything working again I may need to reinstall Hotspot Shield to make sure that works OK, although it probably isn't needed on that PC anyway.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Seen it a bit lately, don't know whats triggering it, some updates put them in others don't, not to sure if its certain hardware or what.

What you explained is exactly whats happened, says its connected to the LAN, but no internet. All the WAN mini ports installed ?

For anyone who wants to see what I was referring to - I don't have a customers PC that I worked on but found a picture on google.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	8251