Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with simple clone - backup please

Hi all
    I have an audio pc running Windows server 2012 R2 that I need to clone / backup. The audio software it runs is called AudioOptimiser, this yields sound quality improvements through stopping a lot of the Windows functions and only leaving the processís that are need for hi quality audio.

Trouble is that changing between modes in this audio software can cause corruptions in the OS. (I know)

Iíd like to create an image of the operating system, this is on a separate SSD (3TB drive for music) so I can rebuild it if I screw it up! Which has happenedÖ.

Iím not a computer guru by any means so Iíd like some guidance please. From my googling Iíve read that I can install the server backup tools, will these make a complete clone copy or just a backup?
    Other articles say to use a program like Clonezilla, what would you suggest for a non-computer guy?

The first time it got corrupted I couldnít even access the gui so looking for tools was difficult, went back to the guy I brought it off for a full rebuild. Not really an ideal situation, Iíd love some guidance so I can fix it myself if required.

Would really appreciate some help please, not a guru but can find my way around.

Cheers

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Default Re: Help with simple clone - backup please

Clonezilla works well for me, but it might pay to try restoring from the image (to a blank drive) after you make it.
    Just to be sure.
    FTW

MGiven you're running windows server 2012, I'd look at using the windows server backup that's installed already on there. Sone caviets, it done by preference like to control the destination drive. But I believe you can have a mixed mode drive also.

If nothing else, it will happen while server is running. Clonezilla, is manual and requires reboot
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Thanks guys
    So MS Server backup can do an image? If so it might be the way to go....

Would appreciate any hints or reference links, as I said I'm a long way from being a guru. A novice at best!

Cheers

Be careful when backing up servers, a LOT of "usual" cloning software ( including cloneazilla) don't always work with servers.

Active@disk Image Pro does. http://www.disk-image.com/download.htm Its listed in the Ticked / compatible list - http://www.disk-image.com/You can download the trial version with a bootable CD option 272MB.

Heres a hint (Shhhhhhh) If you install the 30 day trial, make the bootable CD right away -- the CD doesn't expire, you just get a warning saying its a trial even months later.

You would be better to make an image of the drive, save it to a external HDD. Then drop the image back onto a blank Drive. Disconnect the original HDD, and make sure the copy boots - if it does ( it should) then you can store the image away somewhere safe.

Some interesting reading --- https://community.spiceworks.com/top...indows-2012-r2 Esp the last comment from waltereaton -- Had similar happen a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Lowie View Post
    Thanks guys
    So MS Server backup can do an image? If so it might be the way to go....

Would appreciate any hints or reference links, as I said I'm a long way from being a guru. A novice at best!

Cheers
    Yes it can. But it doesn't get a lot if control, it likes to manage the disk space. But it's daily and is image based.

On the other hand acronis is great software, and for a home is you can't beat it. But unfortunately for windows server you need their server version. The price jumps from $50usd per machine to over $3000.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Is this the software ? https://www.audiostream.com/content/audiophileoptimizer

Sounds like snake oil to me, audiophiles convince themselves they can hear all kinds of things they really can't.
    An quality external DAC I can buy into, reducing jitter by disabling processes sounds like a load of BS.

A digital stream is accurate or it isn't, the DAC is the only place where jitter could be introduced and a modern CPU can do high end audio decoder with a tiny percentage of it's processing power so it's not exactly struggling to keep up.

My opinion is disable the software and honestly assess if you can tell the difference, and try not to let your imagination get involved. It's like how oxygen free speaker cables and gold plated audio connectors have been proven to only effect the level very very slightly and still people will pay a premium for them instead of turning the volume knob a fraction.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Is this the software ? https://www.audiostream.com/content/audiophileoptimizer

Sounds like snake oil to me, audiophiles convince themselves they can hear all kinds of things they really can't.

My opinion is disable the software and honestly assess if you can tell the difference, and try not to let your imagination get involved. It's like how oxygen free speaker cables and gold plated audio connectors have been proven to only effect the level very very slightly and still people will pay a premium for them instead of turning the volume knob a fraction.
    a true audiofile wouldnt be wasting time trying to get high quality from a PC regardless

Perhaps instead of that software, time & money would be better spent on some of the $500 audio quality mains fuses: supposedly give a noticable improvement
    And well known, that fiddling with the last 1% in the chain can make such a big difference. Its OK to ignore how much processing (via computers) was done at the studio &
    ignore all the cabling at the studio and concentrate on our 1M $600 interconnect .
    Thats why true high quality stereo amps dont have the tone controls: lets ignore the tone controls/equalizers that were in the recording process

The only way to truly access these things is via double blind testing. If we believe that there will be an improvement we'll believe we hear it .
    The placebo affect is stronger than we like to admit . And people like to fiddle with things :-)

http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/...ptimizer.1132/

and for balance :-) a bit of BS
    http://www.soundstageultra.com/index...ipment-reviews
    "AO significantly reduced harshness and glare. It also instilled in the music a calm and an ease..."
    "The quantitative differences from the stock OS were like replacing several power cords ......"

there we go, the good ol audiofile power cord pops up again
    Last edited by 1101; 23-08-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the OP was wanting help with imaging his OS, not a sniping session on the purpose he puts it to.
    It may or may not be a valid 'audio improver' but that is irrelevant, surely?
    FTW