Unhappy How to install Linux on HP Stream G3 Pro notebook?

I have been trying to install various versions of Linux on a HP Stream 11 Pro G3 Notebook PC without success.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Education
    BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.10, 2/09/2016
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    Drive SSD 60G

I Grub4 will not install as the partition table is not MSDOS, is G? (I forget!) for EFI
    I tried it with a MSDOS partition table, but still no good.
    Legacy is enabled, but EFI can not be disabled, and has priority.
    Secure Boot is disabled.
    HP do not have an alternative BIOS.

Linux (Puppy & Fatdog64) run on a USB drive but are too slow.
    Fatdog64 will install in a ext4 partition & boot from USB, but will not read its save-file.

I also tried installing to 'Lick' (virtual machine for Puppys) but caused a boot crash in Windows.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: How to install Linux on HP Stream G3 Pro notebook?

The easiest way would be to get Ubuntu on to a USB drive, boot from that, and when it comes time to install, just wipe all partitions on the HDD and have it do what it wants automatically.

You're able to boot from USB at least yeah? To get to the installation part? So the trouble is just with the installation and subsequent booting when it's installed?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    The easiest way would be to get Ubuntu on to a USB drive, boot from that, and when it comes time to install, just wipe all partitions on the HDD and have it do what it wants automatically.

You're able to boot from USB at least yeah? To get to the installation part? So the trouble is just with the installation and subsequent booting when it's installed?
    I have installed Fatdog64 in its own ext4 partition. This works well except that the grub4dos loader has to be on a USB stick This is not too much of a problem. Every time you close Fatdog64 it updates a save file. It saves the file Ok, but can not find it when booted, even when the path is placed in the boot menu. This means that it is useless as no settings are kept.

I have never had this problem with any other computer, but none were EFI. There is a grub2-efi64 ready installed in Fatdog64, but I have no idea how to use it. I haven't found it yet, but the package manager shows it as installed, no path given.

I use Fatdog64 more than Windows. Fast, rock solid, small, with a good selection of software.

I gave up! Have now installed Linux Mint, no problems at all, even installed my printers with a package manager (has 2). Everything is simple & haven't had to use the terminal at all. It has transformed the G3, really fast and responsive.