Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default car tyre recommendations ?

Hi.
    Any recommendations for front car tyres , for a 26 year old Ford Laser
    Im after something reasonably priced, but still with usable wet grip . Budget around $120 ish each , or a more if need be.
    Given the age of the car, these may be the last new tyres the car ever sees

I dont want horrid chinese tyres with no wet grip.
    Do Firestone still make tyres in NZ ?

Default Re: car tyre recommendations ?

No. All production of tyres in NZ has now ceased, due mainly to economies of scale and the cost of replacement machinery. I recommend though that you visit your local Bridgestone (who now own Firestone) and talk to the manager there about what you want. At the risk of starting an argument here, I would suggest that the new tyres are fitted to the rear axle, but still make sure the fronts have good tread depth. This is best practice for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I would suggest that the new tyres are fitted to the rear axle
    ??
    all the steering & power is on the front, and 75% of the braking .

Is that a throwback to the days when everything was rear wheel drive ?

edit , found out why here.
    https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=52

Still, Id rather have new tyres on the fr, for braking , and steering. Brakes kinda important , and would like to actually stop in the wet.
    And not push through a corner & keep going straight because the better tyres are on the back. Ive had that happen, bloody scary.
    Last edited by 1101; 14-08-2017 at 03:51 PM.

I find the supercats are pretty good for a budget (but not rubbish) tyre. I'd much rather have new tyres on the front too.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    ??
    all the steering & power is on the front, and 75% of the braking .

Is that a throwback to the days when everything was rear wheel drive ?

edit , found out why here.
    https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=52

Still, Id rather have new tyres on the fr, for braking , and steering. Brakes kinda important , and would like to actually stop in the wet.
    And not push through a corner & keep going straight because the better tyres are on the back. Ive had that happen, bloody scary.
    That is a good article you have quoted, and has the answer to all your concerns. Believe me, the better tyres should be on the rear wheels, for all the reasons outlined by that article. In saying this though, the front tyres must still have sufficient tread depth to resist aquaplaning, and be safe, and that is why rotation and replacing ALL tyres in sets is the best practice. Talk to Bridgestone and ask for a deal for 4 tyres, trading in the ones you intended to keep. Believe me they will be pretty accommodating, as they hate seeing customers walk out the door. We always believed in never missing a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    I find the supercats are pretty good for a budget (but not rubbish) tyre. I'd much rather have new tyres on the front too.
    Have a read of the article 1101 posted above wratty, it is all good stuff and reinforces everything I have always recommended.

1101 - you only need to get the tyre specifications from the sidewall of your existing tyres, then phone a dealer. Tony's Tyre Service have an awesome reputation, and are very competitive. They'll sell you most brands so you won't be pressured into a brand and price you don't need.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Go to Tony's then. They are owned by Bridgestone actually. But PLEASE buy a brand you have heard of and know has a reputation for quality. The tyre business has become one where 'cheap really means low quality'. You will get what you pay for!

Wanderer

Have a look at hyperdrive.co.nz they can deliver for free and install them outside of AKL or in AKL. I find them to be cheaper, haven't used them personally, have researched.

What are your tyre size?

My dad have used a lot of supercats, I have also known others and they have been ok. A place after seeing them said Archilles which is a bit better than them (?). We went for Pirelli P1's paying more. $150 a tyre for 15 inches R65.

FWIW's new Toyotas have Bridgestones Potenza's. Not cheap I know but for an indication for us we now don't cheap it out too much.

Hyperdrive also has a pop up screen saying if you subscribe to newsletters you'll get a $50 voucher.

I always go to Firestone, same shop for years now. Always had great advice from them. As for Tony's, even if owned by Firestone I find very unethical and take advantage of people that don't know any better