Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ebike

Default The Ebike

I've been out and today husband went out. Properly out.

Went off to his mates place on it, I've just done shop runs.

I found the motor doesn't run continuous, notice it on the hills, it's sort of a surge, on, on, off, on, on. I guess to keep it from going past 25kph.
    Or the sort it has....don't know.

However I hit 40kph downhill so stopped pedalling.

I thought it might be bad for husband on a long trip, he is getting old, and health not so great now.
    Half expected him to ring and ask me to come rescue him.

But no.

Husband let it get to 56kph downhill. I guess we could get a speeding ticket? Wonder if he'd trigger the camera?
    He said he just let the motor take him up the hill, maybe I pushed it, I don't know....probably, being impatient.

Anyway he loves it, he used to cycle race once, not that he could now, and he was fit as then...he could beat the cars off at the lights and get up to 80kph on the flat in no time.

Back when...

However I noted I did 18kph on the hill, pretty good really.

I find it aggravates the arthritis, you do have to pedal....not with effort but the movement. But those days when nothing hurts, I go....it's not too bad, bit sore when I get back but it is heaps of fun. And I never liked pushbikes.

I saw an article in the paper real bike riders moaning and saying ebike people shouldn't be allowed, too fast.

Really? Husband was faster on his old bike...and I've seen a few round here in their lycra going flat out, beating me in the car...
    wipe your paws.

Default Re: The Ebike

It's good that you are getting some use out of it.
    Bit of exercise, bit of fresh air, got to be good for you.
    I try to get out every second day and do 20 to 25 k's.
    Most NZ sold ebikes are restricted to 25k assist, so if you are hovering around that speed, you will get a surge when you drop bellow it.
    More noticeible if you are on the higher power settings.
    I imagine yours will have a throttle too.
    Mine is pedalic, won't go anywhere unless you peddle.

So many times I've been told it's cheating or lazy to own an e-bike, usually by people who drive to work every day and have never tried one. Anyway I really like mine and find it fun to ride and rarely use the car to go to work any more.

The type with a separate throttle can usually be ridden without pedaling at all if you want, mine's not like that but I've followed someone on one for about 5 mins without him pedalling once.

Mine also has the 25k speed limit on assist, and I often find myself doing 26-30 on the flat sections of the cycle way so I know I'm doing that without help. To me it feels like the bike suddenly gets heavier or I'm riding through something with a bit of resistance when I hit 26k (the assist on mine tapers off between 25-26k).

Same, ours you have to rotate the pedals for the motor to work. Stop pedalling, motor stops.

It has 5 motor assist settings.
    wipe your paws.

do the e-bikes have disk brakes , or is it electronic braking only ?
    surely not the old style bike rim brakes ?

Can be either depending on the model.
    Disc can be mechanical or hydrolic.
    Mine has hydrolic disc, similar to motorcycle.
    Havent seen any with regenerative braking yet.

Mine has disk brakes, and I haven't checked mine but the norm is for the brake lever to also operate a motor cut-off on those with a throttle so the brakes can't be made to fight the motor.
    Awesome brakes compared to my old bike, even in the rain they stop really well. They are also hydraulic and the "cable" is actually a thin metal rod that pushes not pulls and apparently they self adjust - discovered after fixing a flat.

No fancy regenerative braking, just too complex for the average bicycle. Also mine's chain driven (motor in the crank assembly) and it could be dangerous to have the wheels turn the chain. Should be possible with the hub motor style of bike, don't know if any do that though.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Had a quick look & there are few with regenerative brakes.
    https://www.electricbike.com/regenerative-brakes/

What brand is your, Dugi? Can't understand a mixture of Hydraulic and push rod actuation
    Amnesia International, remembering for those that can't.

No trees were harmed in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

This is it https://www.evolutioncycles.co.nz/in...oduct_id=62225 was on special over Xmas

Can't find any info on the brakes, but having examined them while trying to figure out adjustment I noticed it's not a regular cable and operates the opposite to what I'd expect
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070