Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lounge suite, repair or not?

I have a lounge suite that's a few years out of warranty but still looks pretty good. One of the recliners has had a weld break on a metal crossbar that the springs connect to. The same thing happened to one end of the couch a couple of years ago (the end sections are also recliners) and it was fixed under warranty by forlongs where I bought it - a month short of the warranty ending.

So anyone have any suggestions of where it could be repaired in Hamilton?, is it worth doing or just chuck it, give it away? I still have the couch and the other recliner and I live alone so honestly it's not the biggest deal to just live without it.

Seems like poor factory welding to me, the box section just has a very thin line of weld on 2 sides. A concern is that once it broke and bent down that it has weakened the other side as well - and it's all under tension from the springs. So I worry that spending money on it is a short term fix and not really worth it, but on the other hand it still looks basically new.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Default Re: Lounge suite, repair or not?

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I One of the recliners has had a weld break on a metal crossbar that the springs connect to. The same thing happened to one end of the couch a couple of years ago and it was fixed under warranty by forlongs where I bought it - a month short of the warranty ending.
    Should still be covered under CGA.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Should still be covered under CGA.
    Thanks but I'm not going down that route. Despite looking new it's at least 7 years old and I'm well above average weight and have a habit of breaking chairs.
    The frame had a 5 year warranty.

Thanks but I'm not going down that route. Despite looking new it's at least 7 years old and I'm well above average weight and have a habit of breaking chairs.
    The frame had a 5 year warranty.
    Mmmmmm. Sounds as if your name should be dugimodoplus or Dugimodo, Furniture Tester. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Old guy

If you can dismantle it you should be able to get it repaired/re-welded at little cost. I did that for one of ours a few years back.

Just to comment further it is surprising how cheap and nasty a lot of upholstered furniture is in the parts that are normally seen even for quite expensive pieces.

I'm a Big guy, and overweight. Not news to me. At 197cm tall and 133 kg (down from 140 so some progress has been made) I find things just aren't made to accommodate me.
    My reputation for breaking chairs goes back 30 years and about as many kgs though, not sure what it is I do wrong when sitting exactly.

On top of which a lot of stuff is just made cheaply and weight ratings wildly exaggerated. I think they play the odds knowing only a small % of people will be heavy enough for it to matter and a lot of those will never claim under warranty.

For your amusement:

At 19, built like a rake and about 95kgs I flopped down on a lazboy at a friends 21st - and went right through it. Her mother was not impressed. This was the beginning of it all.
    In my 20's I was constantly doing amateur repairs to the wooden frame of our old couch, in the end it was a solid plywood base with an extra layer of foam after I gave up reattaching the springs
    Im my 30's I bought a Cheap high back computer chair from the warehouse, the back snapped off and I went arse over kite in a backwards somersault.
    In my 40's I did the same thing on an expensive work chair, one of my work mates still has trouble controlling himself when he tells the story.
    Dad bought everyone folding wooden camp chairs one Xmas, I broke 2 of them the first time we went fishing, then He broke a 3rd demonstrating to someone how I broke them
    I've lost track of how many computer chairs I've gone through, and have destroyed at least 3 couches over the years. I don't dare lean back on those plastic outdoor chairs or the legs buckle.
    I built my own park bench for outside out of solid timber because I just didn't trust any you can buy, they look flimsy and cost a fortune. I shop for computer chairs by comparing weight ratings but have learnt they are not accurate.

At 197cm tall and 133 kg I find things just aren't made to accommodate me.

I've lost track of how many computer chairs I've gone through
    That's not that big.
    Not an excuse for crap manufacturing.
    Friend had some cane swivel chairs, outdoor things, same kind of thing, steel frames.....and they broke. She had it welded, it broke again.
    They gave up on them.

165cm and about 60kg.....can't blame weight for that.

As for computer chairs, I bought one from Warehouse Stationary. It lasted 5 minutes, the plastic that holds the wheels on broke.

Husband repaired it by using a piece of thick plywood, attached that to the chair, and the wheels to that.

We still have it, son uses it now.....that's lasted 10 years so far.

They just make things out of crap now.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    I bought one from Warehouse Stationary. It lasted 5 minutes, the plastic that holds the wheels on broke.
    If the wheels came off, it obviously would become stationary.

Should've gone to Warehouse Stationery.

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

pcsourcepoint

I once fixed a lounge suit by attaching wood to frame (like 4 x 2 or similar blocks), nails, and web strapping from old ratchet tie downs. You can't bolt on boxed or angle iron?
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

I'm late, as usual but I agree that CGA should cover it.
    At least one of the larger furniture companies has two or more grades of furniture, priced accordingly. That doesn't mean to say a sale item isn't a bargain. Ignore the looks you might get and turn each piece upside down, the standard can often be determined by what you see, it's like ready-packaged meat from the supermarkets, the scrappy bits are underneath where you don't see them when they are on display.