Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Who Was That Clever Fellow?

We have them.
    I confess husband uses his more than me.

The idea is to warm the bed then turn it off, it takes the chill out of it and you don't spend ages warming it with your body heat.

Husband being super skinny would not do well without it.

Son finds it helps his back...(he had a fusion a while ago, still a few issues with it)

In the James Herriot books he mentions the time he got one and said it was a lifesaver....coming in middle of the night after a vet visit in snow etc and warming up quick instead of taking ages to get to sleep.

The first electric blanket was invented by Sidney Russell, who was a physician, in 1912. This first blanket didnít actually go over the body, however, because it was designed to be placed under the mattress and then heat it up from below. The first traditional blankets seem to have appeared in 1930 and were developed by George Crowley.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    No electric blanket and cotton sheets only for me, SWMBO uses arctic fleece sheets and an electric blanket. Just one of several reasons why we have 2 king single beds pushed together.
    How's that going to work in the tiny house?
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Older by the minute

In bed with a hot woman = no sleep!!!!

Duvet is the answer, light but nice and warm all night.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    The first electric blanket was invented by Sidney Russell, who was a physician, in 1912. This first blanket didn’t actually go over the body, however, because it was designed to be placed under the mattress and then heat it up from below. The first traditional blankets seem to have appeared in 1930 and were developed by George Crowley.
    That was what I was wanting to know. Thanks Pctek, most interesting.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Visit the Radio Reading Service: www.radioreading.org.nz

I can't stand the damn things, and they frighten me too.

As a child in Nth Canty I slept in an outside sleepout, where the top half of the front wall was open to the elements - just some sort of mesh to keep out the flying critters. If the weather got a bit wet, you rolled down canvas blinds. Nowadays I only need two homespun crochet blankets in the winter - wool is best to sleep under.

I always wondered why as children we slept in an open sleepout, until I found out in later years that my grandparents and their children slept out in 'semi tents' in the orchard in Loburn - wooden half walls and canvas tops. Nobody slept in the house. I guess it had something to do with the prevalence of TB in those days. Dr Truby King was a keen advocate of the health giving properties of fresh air; hence the vogue for open verandahs on hospitals where patients slept in those pre-antibiotic days. Electric blankets - pah!

SWMBO bought us new electric blankets 2 winters ago. She is brassed off because I have never even plugged it in. We also sleep in 2 king singles pushed together. I have a sheepskin underlay, only ever have cotton sheets and have a feather and down duvet. I am as snug as a bug in a rug at nights! If the weather is really bad I might fill a hot water bottle to place under my back as I also ache at night due to degenerative back problems'

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I can't stand the damn things, and they frighten me too.
    !
    Why? You should be more frightened of your cellphone battery and your power multi socket box.....they catch fire with regular frequency.
    wipe your paws.