Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Activate Windows!!!????

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Is it safe to run those utility programs?

Has anyone here tried any of them?
    I've had this file for a short while, It appears to lift the embedded key, but personally never had to use it.

http://neosmart.net/OemKey/

When you click on the download Now, it goes to the download page, theres a Download button right under the email they want you to enter, but you dont have to fill them out.

Once windows 10 has activated the first time it actually registers the hardware, not the OEM keys. If hardware changes enough, Eg motherboard that will trigger to deactivate, other wise its software corruption, on the rare occasion MS servers are playing up.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 15-07-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Nirlauncher has the facility to extract the Product keys of both Windows and Office which can be very handy

Free upgrade from earlier windows version i.e. windows 7 etc. always having this issue. soon one of the system files changes due to new driver or ... windows shadow files intact. it's a kind of things that usually when users get a free upgrade then forcing to buy in his next mistake. I say a kind of new marketing way

Quote Originally Posted by FarJ View Post
    Free upgrade from earlier windows version i.e. windows 7 etc. always having this issue. soon one of the system files changes due to new driver or ... windows shadow files intact. it's a kind of things that usually when users get a free upgrade then forcing to buy in his next mistake. I say a kind of new marketing way
    Not sure where you get this from. Never heard of anyone having to re-buy after an update has been registered and activated.

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Not sure where you get this from. Never heard of anyone having to re-buy after an update has been registered and activated.
    Thats correct, once activated (no matter what type of Key) you no longer even need a product key to reinstall. When a PC is originally activated the license is linked to the motherboard.

Some say once the board dies so does the license -- Proved that wrong last weekend

The Motherboard in SWMBO's PC sh1t its self, after putting in a another board it didn't auto activate. Went through the activation troubleshooter, selected the hardware had changed - after a bit of thinking about it ( the computer/Microsoft) it came up saying there was a licensed Windows 10 Pro linked to the account. After confirming the account details it then reactivated.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 02-08-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Just for fun sake, I used a Win7 OEM key on an old laptop to install Windows 10 and it installed and activated without any issues.

That means that we could still use the Win7 key to install Win10!

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Just for fun sake, I used a Win7 OEM key on an old laptop to install Windows 10 and it installed and activated without any issues.

That means that we could still use the Win7 key to install Win10!
    Correct If you install W10 from Fresh, STILL at the moment you can use a W7-W8.1 key. The important item is a fresh install. Only time I seen it fail is when someone installed W10 without a key, then later tried to enter a W7 key -- that failed.

re-using a Win OEM install key on another PC is piracy .

Yes it works. No, you arnt allowed to do it.
    Yes, the OEM license dies with the motherboard (a few exceptions)

The method Wainui described has been reported to allow you to re activate OEM on new hardware in some cases provided the copy of windows was tied to a live windows login and you are re-using it. I haven't tried it myself though. I'd also assume it would deactivate on the old hardware if you tried to keep using it.

I have done it with a retail copy after an upgrade but because I knew It's allowed by the terms I expected that to work. Impressive though - pull out an old intel board with a C2D, wack in a new gigabyte itx board with an i5 in it, boot straight into windows 10 first try with just a few automatic driver installs, run the troubleshooter and tell it I've changed the hardware, pick the correct machine from a list tied to my login, activated! I feel like it's only fair to pass on a positive experience to balance out the bad ones a bit.

Because retail and OEM prices are near enough the same now I've stopped buying OEM, I like the peace of mind knowing I can upgrade at will and keep my old windows licence. It means I'm not going to be selling off complete old gaming machines much any more though
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Because retail and OEM prices are near enough the same now I've stopped buying OEM, I like the peace of mind knowing I can upgrade at will and keep my old windows licence. It means I'm not going to be selling off complete old gaming machines much any more though
    From my suppliers a Retail on a USB drive is cheaper than OEM ( same version of W10)