Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    pcsourcepoint

Default Drivers Trusting GPS Too Much..

Mapping expert reckons many become too reliant on GPS, without using common sense, fireman says some like the female's voice over, but whatever some near fatalities like in West Yorkshire, UK near a cliff, or driving on stairway in Manhattan, NY, and even into a bay in Ontario, Canada.

Only issue I have had, is the displayed route (Using Google Maps/Driving mode), may not necessarily be the fastest, but then again real issues might occur/manifest itself using GPS in unfamiliar country areas or large central City areas.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 01-07-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Default Re: Drivers Trusting GPS Too Much..

Sister in-law driving up Morehouse in Chch straddling the lines waiting for the GPS to tell her which turnoff to take. Also same one was still using her GPS every Sunday to go to church despite making the exact same journey every Sunday for 2 years.

I very occasionally use google maps driving instructions but mostly just figure it out as I go, I wouldn't buy a dedicated GPS for use in NZ waste of money.
    Last edited by gary67; 01-07-2017 at 02:36 PM.

didn't they have gps telling people to drive through the waterveiw tunnel months before it was open.

the problem is people are lazy. the hand over the responsibility to a machine because they do not want to do it themselves.
    its not hard to check the route on the map before hand.

classic examples are trucks getting stuck in small village streets because the gps tells them thats the shortest route.
    Tweak it till it breaks

GPS is vastly superior to maps, and much more up to date Also you can't read a map while driving. Sure it's not perfect and you need to make some decisions yourself occasionally but it's still a very useful too to have.
    I can memorise maybe the next 3- 4 turns on a map, then have to find somewhere to pull over, figure out where I am again and memorise the next few. Or I can just use the GPS on my phone.

The only issue I see with it is when some people don't think for themselves and blindly follow instructions when they are clearly wrong. Mine has told me to turn left into a street that didn't connect, ignored the new expressway that goes directly to my street for several months, and apparently thinks catherdral cove is in the middle of a farm. But I have eyes and can read signs so it's not an issue.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Never use a GPS - When ever going anywhere I don't know, have a look at google maps beforehand , print off the area if a lot of streets, then simply go -- If not to sure then pull over and consult map. On the VERY rare occasion pull over and have a look at google maps on Phone.

or as SWMBO says -- I get told where to go anyway
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Zippity Fan Club Member prefect's Avatar

I was in Brisbane a few weeks ago and did a lot of driving around. I took my tom tom gps and updated it with free oz maps. I think a couple of time sit took a longer way but hey I trusted it and it got me there and back everytime.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Sister in-law driving up Morehouse in Chch straddling the lines waiting for the GPS to tell her which turnoff to take. Also same one was still using her GPS every Sunday to go to church despite making the exact same journey every Sunday for 2 years.

I very occasionally use google maps driving instructions but mostly just figure it out as I go, I wouldn't buy a dedicated GPS for use in NZ waste of money.
    Wouldn't God show them the way?

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Wouldn't God show them the way?
    If he existed yes he/she/it should yes.

GPS were also sending motorhomes through the Molesworth from Blenheim to Hanmer Springs

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    If he existed yes he/she/it should yes.

GPS were also sending motorhomes through the Molesworth from Blenheim to Hanmer Springs
    The gate is locked isnt it?

I found my Google lady infinitely patient and never cross. She is pretty good for my wife too who is not good at map reading and directions( she does say its my fault for not listening!) .

I only listen to the directions, unless there is something obviously wrong that calls for a stop. I get where I want to quickly and efficiently, about 99% of the time. The only problem is learning your way round without the navigation is a lot harder to pick up.

I have found Google navigation far superior to my GPS for ease of use. Like all tools you have to keep awake, and not follow the directions blindly. YOU are in charge after all!