Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Create a partition just for Win10?

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Splitting up a HD is the worst advice , unless they are very tech savvy .
    The OP is actually proposing to create partitions so I assume there is sufficient technical knowledge there.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Still very good advice from 1101. Couldn't agree more with him.

Damn it, so many well thought opinions yet I don't know who's right ..... :|

The simplest is to follow what 1101 said. You don't need the complication of managing multiple partitions when there is really no need.

Windows expects progs to be in C: drive. That is the line of least resistance. For backup use something like Macrium Reflect Free to image C: drive to a backup drive. Any problem, just restore that image. Bingo, everything back as it was with no mucking around. You can also extract data files from an image as well if that is what is needed.

IMHO, keep it simple. Years ago we usually split disks up but I never even consider it now.

End of day, you have to consider what you are prepared to manage.

Good luck.

There is no wrong way , either way will work.
    Its just easier in the long term to have a single partition (Win10 will actually create a hidden partition , so thats 2 , but you dont get access to the 1st)

Some Laptops come presetup with 5 partitions :just a nightmare to recover/clone .
    Ive seen a HD setup with a separate partition for every program he installed . A bit over the top

Old guy

I would suggest that it is best to follow the advice given by 1101, linw and others. The simplest solution is always better IMHO. Unnecessary complications tend to lead to problems down the track.

I don't want to confuse the issue even more or extend this thread past its use-by date, but I think the difficulties of multiple partitions are being exaggerated and the advantages downplayed. If you have any technical skill at all dealing with partitions is not a problem. There is the Windows Disk Management tool and any number of third party apps. The advantages of my proposal, i.e. one partition for the OS, one for the applications and one for the data are many.

• Keeping the data separate makes it much easier to manage, rather than having it all go into one "documents" folder on the OS partition.
    • Separate partitions means you can maintain/backup/image stuff in a more granular fashion, i.e have different strategies for the OS, for applications and for data.
    • If you need to reinstall the OS, you at least still have all the apps available in their separate partition so at least you know what they are, even if you still have to re-install them (which isn't always the case), and also you may well have their settings preserved as well - unless that is all in the registry.
    • I acknowledge that there are some programs that insist on going on the C: drive, but they are much in the minority these days.

The best of all possible worlds is to have these three categories on separate physical disks, but I acknowledge that is probably a bridge too far for many people.

Having everything in one partition will certainly work, but I am saying that although the initial setup may be a little more complex, the day-to-day maintainability is better with stuff separated.

Ok guys I want to thank all of you for all of the attention and the replies I will certainly consider all of them before doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    Ok guys I want to thank all of you for all of the attention and the replies I will certainly consider all of them before doing anything.
    Glad to help - and hopefully not overconfuse.