Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Create a partition just for Win10?

Sorry to disagree with Lawrence but your application programs do not have to be in the same partition as the operating system. I have my Win10 OS on the C: partition and my application programs (office etc.) on the D: partition. It is just a matter of assigning the correct path when you install a program. There are some progs that don't give you that option, but I can live with that.

I think there are many benefits to separating the OS from the applications, not least being that if you re-install the OS the applications are still there even though you may still have to "re-install" them. I also have a separate partition for all my data files so I can easily back them up/shift them around easily and independently of the OS an applications.

Having said that I would definitely have a C: partition larger than 30GB. My current C: drive is 116GB of which about 80 is used. Windows puts all sorts of miscellaneous stuff on the C: drive that you have little control over. I only have that much spare on the C: drive because I did a major housekeeping exercise and got rid of a lot of the junk. I was down to about 10mb spare and getting all sorts of warnings.

As another poster said, disk drives are so cheap these days there is really no reason not to have large partitions.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Since a partition size is kind of important to allow growth why not split the sizes asked, go 80 -100GB. Nice easy size, still room to grow and add programs.

Is 30gb enough since microsoft says needs at least 20gb for the install
    What Microsoft aren't saying is you NEED at least 20GB of SPARE space as well.
    When Windows upgrades it needs space to move the current installed OS install the New then integrate sections of the old one back in. If you have Less than 20GB Spare you will have problems, it needs room to move.

When doing an upgrade, look at the size of the Windows.old afterwards file is often 18-20+GB in size.

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Unless I am missing something, Kostas, then the best option when you can afford it, is to have your operating system and programs on an SSD drive and the data on your existing hard drive. However, this is the real world, and we have so little appreciation of how difficult it is to live in Greece at the moment. If the EU listened to the IMF then they would forgive some debt, sound economics--and best for all concerned, both borrower and lender - however politics gets in the way.

Given the advice offered, then I think you have to go with what you can afford. Very best wishes from me!
    Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 32 C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Unless I am missing something, Kostas, then the best option when you can afford it, is to have your operating system and programs on an SSD drive and the data on your existing hard drive. However, this is the real world, and we have so little appreciation of how difficult it is to live in Greece at the moment. If the EU listened to the IMF then they would forgive some debt, sound economics--and best for all concerned, both borrower and lender - however politics gets in the way.

Given the advice offered, then I think you have to go with what you can afford. Very best wishes from me!
    Good advice. I'd still break the SSD into two partitions - OS and applications.

This whole thread has gone off on the wrong tangent. The Op doesn't have a SSD, Whom ever started the SSD portion has confused the thread.
    So i have a 300gb HDD and i wanted to create a partition to seperate windows files from personal files, games etc.

I agree with Tony, I always keep my data on another partition, this way if 'C' packs a sad I still have the latest Data. As I do not do gaming, and do not download videos, I find that 65GB is a good size for Windows 10. This way I can back it up in a few minutes. Some of my more important data is synced with Google Drive. And yes, if you want to save space on C you can install most software on another partition.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Since a partition size is kind of important to allow growth why not split the sizes asked, go 80 -100GB. Nice easy size, still room to grow and add programs.
    So i might consider this as the best solution since i wanted form the start to break the disk apart to keep things organized, easy to back up and control if something goes wrong.
    The only reason i wanted to isolate windows files from all programms was because i had an accident where some software would get saved in the "windows" folder thus i would try to move them but i didn't risk messsing my OS up.(Has happened like twice and had to restore)

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post

Thank you very much for the kind words. Yes things have been difficult around here if i manage to save up for an SSD i'll buy one. Till then i'll probably divide the 300Gb HDD to two parts, -one being 100gb for windows and programms and -other one for data as @wainuitech originally advised me.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    This whole thread has gone off on the wrong tangent. The Op doesn't have a SSD, Whom ever started the SSD portion has confused the thread.
    You are right, but the general advice still holds - separate partitions for OS and application progs and general data.

Splitting up a HD is the worst advice , unless they are very tech savvy .

Real world: C: gets full, D: stays near empty . Seen that so many times.

Splitting the HD has few advantages. If the HD dies, data is lost regardless
    If you need to reload,with a single partition simply backup data first. Its not that hard. Or wipe the lot & get data from backup.

Splitting the HD often leaves the C: too small , meaning you have to b*gger around managing HD space when C: fills up.

So my opinion, dont split a single HD , especially a relatively small 300M HD