Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Create a partition just for Win10?

Hello everyone,
    I am about to format my pc and having windows 10 64bit. So i have a 300gb HDD and i wanted to create a partition to seperate windows files from personal files, games etc. My question is how much space should i give it? Is 30gb enough since microsoft says needs at least 20gb for the install? Is this even a corect way to organize and seperate windows files?
    Thank you in advance for the time spent.

Default Re: Create a partition just for Win10?

I would go with a 150GB Partition ,even this could be considered to small as people that switch to a 120GB SSD Drive end up wanting more space as things expand

Seem HHD drives are cheap go bigger or the ultimate go SSD 240GB if cost is not a factor and keeping your HHD for non system stuff
    Last edited by Lawrence; 11-06-2017 at 07:01 AM.

WOW 150GB!!! wait a second cause i'm really missing something right here. Since files themselves need 20gb for installing what brings the number sky high at 150gb? I know there'll be minor updates, logs etc. but 130 gb more?

All your other software has to be on the same Partition and as you install software they let you know how much space they need to operate with,if you say if are into Photography and run a couple of high end programs you need over 1GB just in installation plus more to be able to work with

If you are into Video conversion this eats space at a great rate an so it goes on with other software

Just looked at drive ,SSD 240GB windows 10 64bit about 20 bits of software and minimal pic's and data on drive as I use another for this and I have used for this 70GB's
    Last edited by Lawrence; 11-06-2017 at 07:57 AM.

But my originall plan was to actually have all the programms in an other partition. So i had let's say:
    30gb windows( installation and room for updates)
    120gb Games and apps
    150gb Programms like video,picture editors and other serius stuf
    300gb total. Wouldn't this work? Does it require them to be installed in the same partition as windows(for reading)?

Software needs to be run on "C" Drive but there could be some exceptions

So should i try it? or do you think it's going to create problems?

Should you try it?, No

The best option is to install without any partition as most have another Drive for this or better still if you could use a SSD 240/250GB as it gives a massive performance jump and the size won't limited you for normal use(have not long done this myself)

I have had windows running on a tablet that only had 32GB of storage. It is a pain in the butt, not even enough space to update from windows 8 to 10 when that happened. It's ok if you install a very minimal amount of software and store ALL your files elsewhere but it requires some effort to maintain and you have to remove unused software to fit on new software. Also you may have to set your swap file elsewhere. I'd suggest 64GB as the minimum practical size for a windows partition and 120GB+ as much easier to live with for most people. A lot of software will not let you choose where it installs and windows stores a lot of things on the C: drive by default so disk usage tends to grow over time.

What you suggest is possible but will likely not be a good experience. Far and away the easiest thing to do is to have a single partition so all free space is available to everything rather than being split among drives. The only advantage to dividing a drive up is it makes it easier to backup & restore windows. Separating installed software doesn't really achieve anything as it still uses up the same amount of space and would still need to be reinstalled if you reinstall windows (except if restoring from an image). Some games are an exception but you can't rely on that, most programs store config and save files on the windows drive and make registry entries etc in windows.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Ok thank you very much guys, @Lawrence @dugimodo i think i'll just keep it in one partition untill i could save up for a new drive.