Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Modem backdoor

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Modem backdoor

    It's also a ridiculously incorrect statement to claim ISPs can see all your traffic.

  2. #12
    Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    17,146

    Default Re: Modem backdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by nmercer View Post
    It's also a ridiculously incorrect statement to claim ISPs can see all your traffic.
    Errrm what makes you say that? Your data goes through their core switches etc? So a packet capture on that with your IP as the filter, and yeah, they can see the traffic...
    Does a T1 or T2 helpdesk monkey have access to do that? Hell no, but it's still plausible for your ISP such as Spark / TelstraClear etc to do-so.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

    Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: Modem backdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Errrm what makes you say that? Your data goes through their core switches etc? So a packet capture on that with your IP as the filter, and yeah, they can see the traffic...
    Does a T1 or T2 helpdesk monkey have access to do that? Hell no, but it's still plausible for your ISP such as Spark / TelstraClear etc to do-so.
    SSL/TLS is still secure

    I also could be running a VPN

    It's a scaremongering piece of journalism designed to generate clicks

  4. #14
    Senior Member pctek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Wild West
    Posts
    24,212

    Default Re: Modem backdoor

    LOL, and next: all your calls and texts that helpdesk people sit there all day reading/listening to.
    That's why your wait times are so long, they're saying hang on, just got to finish reading this one, it's such a laugh.


    (That's sarcasm, in case someone actually believes that)
    wipe your paws.

  5. #15
    Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    17,146

    Default Re: Modem backdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by nmercer View Post
    SSL/TLS is still secure

    I also could be running a VPN

    It's a scaremongering piece of journalism designed to generate clicks
    It is, and you could be, but you're not...
    This is why there are the HTTPS Everywhere initiatives, along with LetsEncrypt.

    So the statement:
    It's also a ridiculously incorrect statement to claim ISPs can see all your traffic.
    is factually incorrect. ISP's *can*, but, basically choose not to, because it's pretty much pointless.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

    Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Similar Threads

  1. Vulnerability / backdoor in some Dlink modem/routers
    By Speedy Gonzales in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-10-2013, 10:42 PM
  2. backdoor lite
    By Noel in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:27 PM
  3. Backdoor.agent.B
    By j.w.knowles in forum PressF1
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-07-2004, 08:36 PM
  4. Backdoor Livup.E
    By bbxian in forum PressF1
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 05:15 PM
  5. backdoor.sdbot
    By veterannz in forum PressF1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-07-2003, 07:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •