Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fibre

Default Fibre

So after resisting for ages, I have selected to have fibre done.

Mainly - the price went down - but because copper is going to be discontinued next year. So there are 2 choices, fibre or the wifi broadband and I already tried the wifi....

We have done as much as possible to make it easy for the installers, extended the pipe with the current copper in it to the outside of house where old copper box is, so all they have to do is feed the fibre cable along it, attach the outside box right there, poke the wire up the existing hole to where my current modem and phone are.

So, in theory, there should be no bad install issues or damage etc.

Husband trusts none of it and keeps thinking of disaster scenarios....
    wipe your paws.

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default Re: Fibre

Good on you pctek! I would be interested in hearing of your experiences with wifi broadband ? A Spark person came to our door yesterday and convinced us to change from ADSL. So far, so good, as our download speed has more than doubled and our upload speed umpteen times more. So, they are doing away with copper so soon - explains a lot. I was pondering this morning why the subject of VDSL had not come up, as on checking I see that it would have now been possible. Hope we are doing the right thing, have five days to change our minds.
    Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 32 C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Good on you pctek! I would be interested in hearing of your experiences with wifi broadband ? A Spark person came to our door yesterday and convinced us to change from ADSL. So far, so good, as our download speed has more than doubled and our upload speed umpteen times more. So, they are doing away with copper so soon - explains a lot. I was pondering this morning why the subject of VDSL had not come up, as on checking I see that it would have now been possible. Hope we are doing the right thing, have five days to change our minds.
    I've been on fibre over a year now (with spark). I've found it so much more reliable than ADSL - not to mention the speed increases (my adsl I couldn't get above 5mbps down, 1mbps up).

One thing to remember is is if you select 100mbps fibre, the wired connections may run at that, but don't expect your wireless to run at that speed. There are so many factors that restrict the speed on wireless. But regardless, you still get a much better experience.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Keep in mind that Chorus are covered by their own insurance for $500,000 per-job, so if your hubby is worried, get him to take a bunch of photos of things prior, and then once the tech has come he can just compare before / after photos etc

Also, there's a high chance they'll kick up a stink if you ask them to put the ONT anywhere but on an exterior wall. They will do it for you though anywhere you want, so make sure you think about it's relation in terms of being near where you want your WiFi AP (Saves running a bunch more cables), but somewhere that's out of reach of little hands too....
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    I would be interested in hearing of your experiences with wifi broadband ?
    My brothers (Napier) is great, consistent good speeds, no hassles. 30-40mbps.

Mine was weird. 7 or so down and 30-40mbps up!!
    It varied but when low it was noticable - lag.

Congestion, so as I had better with ADSL I gave up on it.

Other than that, I liked it, no wires, no anything, plug the modem in and away you go. Landline was fine on it. Even the old school bell phone worked fine.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Keep in mind that Chorus are covered by their own insurance for $500,000 per-job

Also, there's a high chance they'll kick up a stink if you ask them to put the ONT anywhere but on an exterior wall.
    It is an exterior wall......where the copper connection box is.
    And there is a hole (as the house overhangs) straight up to the inside bit (we made to run a network cable) where they can put the other box.,.Right where my current modem - and landline is now.
    All nice and simple...

The fact they have insurance and can fix things isn't the issue. It's having **** broken or done badly in the first place.

friend had her house damaged, took ages and a lot of battling to get it sorted.
    See? Not they they won't, that there could be something at all.

You think I'm bad...he's gone on and on, you'd think it was Chernobyl, what if this, what if that.
    And what if I don't like it, or it stops working or blah blah.
    Geez....
    wipe your paws.

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Hope the pills you are on are strong enough, pctek ?? Mind you a glass or two of a good Scotch helps a lot ! For whatever reason I feel confident of a satisfactory outcome :-)
    Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 32 C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Have they said they will turn off copper in your area or do you mean in general? I know there is less and less growth and investment or development happening on copper every year but I'm sure there's a bit more life in it yet.
    Many areas do not have UFB and won't have it until 2025, and that's just the target for 85% of the population. The rest will be stuck with copper or RF solutions still.

Honestly it will be more like a decade before it's (mostly gone). The last I heard 2020 was the date that chorus no longer had to offer copper in UFB areas and that doesn't mean they will immediately abandon the copper network in those areas.
    They are still investing in the copper network right now, with projects running for most of this year to upgrade from ADSL to VDSL everywhere possible, hardly money well spent if they'll just turn it off a few months later.

But anyway welcome to the fibre club, I hope you'll have a good experience with it. My install went smoothly, there were no issues and performance has been good so far.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

We inherited fibre with the house we bought here 18 months ago. The ONT box is way inside the house on an interior wall in the room the previous owner used as a study. When we bought the house he said there was fibre in the street but he thought he was still on ADSL! Not sure why.

My daughter just had fibre installed in Auckland. Again they installed the ONT box where she wanted it - on an interior wall.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Have they said they will turn off copper in your area or do you mean in general?
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...-bye-to-copper

Chorus - 2020, not that far off.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...logy-from-1876

Spark starts next year. I know it's not a pull the plug all at once scenario - for instance, my brothers street hasn't been wired for fibre yet so they can't really do it to people who don't have the option yet.

But might as well now than later. Seeing as the price is now the same. I choose Fibre100 Broadband and Landline - 120GB 12 Month
    Monthly PLAN $94.99

Son moved back (again) so hence the 120gb.
    wipe your paws.