Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Correct my English!

Default Connecting TV aerial to TV

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last hooked up a TV!

The first picture shows the two ends that I think should connect to each other nicely: http://i.imgur.com/lXDtEyO.jpg

The second picture is just before I attempt to connect them: http://imgur.com/a/KtI5R

The third picture shows that is the furthest the male end can go. Basically the male end is not able to enter the female end (here is a challenge - rephrase this in a less sexual manner) because the red area in the second picture is "blocking it": http://i.imgur.com/UWOywSK.jpg

What am I missing?

Cheers

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

Default Re: Connecting TV aerial to TV

In image one you have a screw on cable end which will not fit into the TV aerial port on the TV that cable is used mainly for dish fittings but the TV port is for UHF. Replace either the cable or just the fitting, assuming of course the cable is fitted to a UHF aerial. If it is fitted to a dish you will need a dish set top box.

Correct my English!

Hmmmmmmmm looks like I've got a dish?

http://imgur.com/a/Ojzjx

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

I suspect that you have an older model TV which is set up for the equally older TV antenna on the roof or chimney - various types. The cable from your Sky dish should be plugged into a Sky receiver or Freeview tuner which in turn will connect to your TV set. We need more details: are you trying to reconnect something which used to work or are you starting from scratch with several items which look like they ought to work together?
    And by the way, it's several years since I corrected your English! I think you're doing just fine these days!
    Either go where you're looking or look where you're going!

You need a UHF aerial for freeview, not a dish. As for the connector there are cheap adapters available from places like jaycar but that won't fix the aerial problem https://www.jaycar.co.nz/adaptor-75-...angle/p/PA3673

There are two types of TV connector in common use in NZ, the one most TVs and UHF aerials use like what's on your TV and the one most satellite receivers and dishes use like what's on your cable.
    There are also two types of freeview in NZ, terrestrial UHF in HD built into TVs that needs one of those aerials that looks like a backwards arrow and Satellite Freeview for which you use a dish and a set top box. UHF is better, satellite is only useful for areas with poor coverage of the other type.

The connector is not just on older TV's, it's still the most common one in NZ. It is a horrible connector and should be phased out though. The other type is much more reliable and more common in some countries, here we just use it for satellite mostly.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Isnt all NZ TV now digital only ?
    So older TV's wont work without a freeveiw box.

either way , you need a TV arial .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Isnt all NZ TV now digital only ?
    So older TV's wont work without a freeveiw box.

either way , you need a TV arial .
    Yes that's true too, anything purchased in the last few years will be fine though.

Go to jcar and get an adapter for a couple of dollars. A lot freeview boxes/ sky/TiVo have a screw in connecter

Correct my English!

Correction: I do have an aerial, which is sitting right next to the dish.

dugimodo: Looks like it will solve my problem then, getting the component from JayCar? https://www.jaycar.co.nz/adaptor-75-...angle/p/PA3673

As long as the cable you found is connected to the aerial then it should be fine with an adapter yes. They have straight ones too I think, that was just the first one I found on a quick scan through.
    If it goes to the dish you may have to find where the other aerial cable goes or if there isn't one move the cable from the dish to the aerial. It's maybe possible the dish and aerial share a cable? I've never seen that though it's a guess, multiple aerials can share a cable but a dish usually has it's own.

Everywhere I've seen with a dish and an aerial had two separate cables into the house.