Default Should I RAID an New drive with an old one

One of the two 4TB WD Red drives in my NAS enclosure started giving I/O and S.M.A.R.T errors so I took it in to PBTech and they gave me a new one (Nice Warranty service incidentally).
    The Drive has been running in the NAS 24/7 as half of an 8TB striped array since June 2015 (3yr warranty). I have a backup as per previous threads so no issue there.

So what I'm considering is should I put the new drive back into a striped array with the remaining old one which is the most convenient thing to do or is it a bad Idea given the age and wear difference between the 2 drives?
    If I use them as separate volumes I have to split all my data up across the two which is a nuisance, I do prefer all the free space available in one place and find it much easier to manage.

Appreciate any advice or opinions please.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Default Re: Should I RAID an New drive with an old one

Never mind, question solved itself. The NAS only offered RAID0, RAID1, or JBOD when reinitialised so it seems individual drives are not an option. It also turns out the NAS stores all it's configuration on the drive and if you just remove one of them you have to start over from scratch. I should probably see if it has an option to backup/restore the configuration somehow for future reference.

Old guy

With my NAS which is in Raid 1 the system automatically rebuilds itself should a drive be replaced with a new one. I have not had to do it yet but should it be required I will just replace the faulty disk.

I don't find RAID 1 particularly useful in my case, I keep a backup copy anyway and I don't need 24/7 access to my files. If you are going to use 2 drives and only get half the space for storage 1 drive as a separate backup and 1 for storage is a much safer way to do it than RAID and copying the files back is generally quicker than rebuilding an array anyway. RAID only protects you against drive failure, a regular backup also protects you against file corruption, accidental deletion, etc.

When I first got the NAS I set it up as a RAID 1, then started over and changed it to RAID 0 - better performance and twice the storage and not an issue as explained above.