Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Tropical Cyclone Cook

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    I'd rather be prepared for nothing than be caught out in a cyclone.
    Well said you, can't fault that at all

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    I'd rather be prepared for nothing than be caught out in a cyclone.
    Fair enough. It is all just a balance of how much effort and resource one wishes to put into something that might happen or may not.

Bay of Plenty copped some isolated damage,it could have been worse as well as it moved East in the morning and lessened wind damage

White Island saw 95 knots at one stage and if it had maintained it's earlier course Tauranga and the coast would have got the full force of it

Have a weather station not far from me and had a gust of 48.7 knots but as it was fast moving the bulk of the high wind did not last long

Total rain over 2 days 150mm

VoidMaster

A lot of rain here in Chch from about 2am in the morning onwards, the bird feeding trays are full to overflowing which I guess means around or at least 30mm of rain.

Apparently the Heathcote river has burst its banks, which is not unusual but there are new low points since the earthquakes altered the terrain.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    The whole thing has been a massive Media beat up. Sure it got a bit windy and wet in a few areas but we have all seen far worse. If the powers that be are not careful they are going to be ignored when a really big problem is on the way. The little boy who called wolf story covers it quite well.
    Come on. Look at the fuss over Edgecumbe!!
    So if they had sat back and said nothing and the thing had hit Akld, what do you think would be the reaction? Especially with the bridge?

Better to make people take precautions and have not much to do after, than shut up about it and cop the flak when it's a disaster later.

And considering the flooding a wee while back - New Lynn etc.......just be happy nothing dramatic happened here.
    Some people in other parts have problems, especially the families of the ones killed by the falling trees in hawkes Bay.

My mum was worried about one of hers, and said the roof nearly lifted. Power out for ages, but all good this morning.
    she was meant to go to church last night but thought better of it.

Told her just as well.....too old to be driving in storms....
    wipe your paws.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Come on. Look at the fuss over Edgecumbe!!
    So if they had sat back and said nothing and the thing had hit Akld, what do you think would be the reaction? Especially with the bridge?

Better to make people take precautions and have not much to do after, than shut up about it and cop the flak when it's a disaster later.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with giving people a warning PCtek but this one was IMHO over the top particularly by TV. For example warning that the harbour bridge was likely to be closed by 160 kph winds. That caused all sorts of problems with traffic over the city with everyone trying to get home early. In the event there were very few weather related problems in Auckland, certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

TV reporters trying to emulate chicken little do not help anyone at all.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Absolutely nothing wrong with giving people a warning PCtek but this one was IMHO over the top particularly by TV. For example warning that the harbour bridge was likely to be closed by 160 kph winds. That caused all sorts of problems with traffic over the city with everyone trying to get home early. In the event there were very few weather related problems in Auckland, certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

TV reporters trying to emulate chicken little do not help anyone at all.
    So you would jeopardize the entire city of Auckland?
    Glad you aren't in charge of anything then.
    FTW

A warning that the harbour bridge was likely to be closed by 160 kph winds. caused all sorts of problems with traffic over the city
    I would guess the UNis closing for easter etc would have caused traffic chaos anyway. It just happened earlier. Anything causes traffic chaos in Akld.

If there had been nasty winds, you watch that cause traffic chaos, it would have been worse.

Some of us stayed in, didn't go to shops etc that day, being right before Easter, I know how that is, storms or no storms.
    Son knocked off early too, picked up his daughter from school and hasn't gone anywhere as yet.

They are heading out to various things but he knows not to get on that motorway Easter Friday.
    wipe your paws.

Yeah! I,m at the other end of the motorway pctec, and we don't go anywhere on holiday weekends, unless we are sure of going the opposite way (went UP to visit a friend in Papakura this morning and back before midday) eye of the storm stuff. In fact if we are catching a plane anytime we ALWAYS book between 11am and 1pm. Just been too close too many times, The motorways will be totally clogged 15 hours a day in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
    Yeah! I,m at the other end of the motorway pctec, and we don't go anywhere on holiday weekends, unless we are sure of going the opposite way (went UP to visit a friend in Papakura this morning and back before midday) eye of the storm stuff. In fact if we are catching a plane anytime we ALWAYS book between 11am and 1pm. Just been too close too many times, The motorways will be totally clogged 15 hours a day in a few years.
    Yes because Kiwis refuse to not drive themselves everywhere