Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Corrupt Bios in HP presario

Device manager / windowsupdate wont find drivers for everything. You go to whatever site and get them / install them

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Device manager / windowsupdate wont find drivers for everything. You go to whatever site and get them / install them
    Really, so why would they tell me: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Device3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	7949
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

BM- if you look at what those actually mean it saying there is a problem.

What that problem may be could be one of many things. Could be drivers (more often than not) Other software corruptions, the list can go on

As you mentioned, that screen shot is from a Windows 7 - Thought it was meant to be so fantastic and good ?? Its not.

Simply put seen that sort of things for YEARS, its nothing new. But the one thing that is common every time is the system has some sort of damage or missing software. Caused by what - your guess is as good as mine without seeing the actual Computer.

Mzee mentioned the Original OS had malware - That's what will have caused the problems.

Oh, my faithful Linux Mint machine is causing me no problems
    Has done in the past - sometimes caused by something you have done, other times not ( referring to your post about Linux)

EVERY OS can have problems, and a high majority of the time its user actions. Eg: Mzee's --
    t was full of trash and over 70 malware etc.
    Malware, from sons PC, bad AV, browsing sites that have infections, installing suspect of malware riddled programs,long time since cleaned -- Just some possible causes.

How often do I for example have problems on my own PC's, and they range from XP - W10 as well as a couple of Linux -- I'll tell you - Hardly ever. Most of the times when I do its because of something I did.

Another example of User - On a job Friday, the persons laptop was running like a car with 4 flat tires and the handbrake on Has Vista -- Some other tech company suggested she go buy a new laptop

She called me to get a second opinion after being recommended -- I went and cleaned it out, removed over to 9GB of CRAP !! removed several resource sucking programs, removed some minor malware, gave it a good clean out, repaired some system files, now its running like New, fast, responsive and working as it should. Shes quite happy, as it does everything she wants to do.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Really, so why would they tell me: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Device3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	7949
    That message only means the driver that's installed is the most upto date on Microsofts Data base of Drivers.

It Doesn't mean that the manufacture of the Drivers / Hardware may have more up to date Drivers on their site. That's why you always check with the manufacture.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    That message only means the driver that's installed is the most upto date on Microsofts Data base of Drivers.

It Doesn't mean that the manufacture of the Drivers / Hardware may have more up to date Drivers on their site. That's why you always check with the manufacture.
    You should be in Politics Wainui.

How do you explain how ALL these Drivers, by different manufactures, all crashed on or about the same time?

Wouldn't be Microsoft using updates to encourage you to upgrade to Win 10 where the can monitor you more easily by any chance?
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

You should be in Politics Wainui.

How do you explain how ALL these Drivers, by different manufactures, all crashed on or about the same time?

Wouldn't be Microsoft using updates to encourage you to upgrade to Win 10 where the can monitor you more easily by any chance?
    Cant give an answer accurately without actually seeing the computer.

What I can say with assurance is there is some sort of Corruption, failure that's caused it.

Want an example?

In your profile you have written
    Retired transmission & telephone technician NZPO
    Say you got a call and it went something like "BM, the exchange at Insert Location is having problems, go fix it".

Without having any other information, could you have said 100% for sure what was the cause ?

When getting there you may have taken one look and say - that's the problem, then again you may spends a lot of time fault finding.

Add to above, short 10 minutes to edit.

Re MS --- Think about how many pieces of hardware there is, as well as the millions of different drivers -- no way could they.

Linux is the same,some drivers will install perfectly fine by default, then there's some that wont, so a person has to go looking for them. Got a PC that Linux cant put in sound card drivers, simply wont work. It originally had XP, and the drivers for that was a PITA to find. So it was turned into a Linux server - sound not required.

Politics -- LOL Hardly, its all logic thinking, and dont jump to conclusions, unless its obvious like smoke coming out.

Got a job booked on Monday, the guy called up, says he used to work in electronics and the PC is dead, cant be fixed -- Said hes done all the normal tests. Which consisted of pulling out the power plug and put it back . I asked if he had tried a different PSU ? What's that was the reply - So I explained.

It may be a simple case of the power supply blowing - then again it may not, wont know till I tested to see.

Reminds of a test we had to do when going for some qualifications once MANY MANY moons ago, the instructor took a working PC and "altered it" so it wouldn't start, we had to find the fault and repair it. It was WTF had he done, all the obvious was fine. We finally sorted it (3 people in the group), it was a lesson on look for the actual problem don't assume whats broken.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-03-2017 at 09:42 PM.

oh my faithful Linux Mint machine is causing me no problems.
    Purely luck of the draw, I like linux mint and generally it's very stable but not always. I've been trying it out and 2 days in let it install some recommended kernal updates. Now it doesn't boot at all. My 3 faithful windows machines are causing me no trouble. It doesn't make one OS better than the other just because you haven't had trouble with it.It's like saying linux is better because there aren't many viruses. There aren't many viruses because not enough pepole use linux to make it worth writing them not because it's inherently more resistant. It's not.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

BM has become like an ex smoker, they go on a massive pilgrimage to convert the rest of the smokers, or maybe like those door knockers who are trying to flog you their book and won't take no for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    BM has become like an ex smoker, they go on a massive pilgrimage to convert the rest of the smokers, or maybe like those door knockers who are trying to flog you their book and won't take no for an answer.
    And you are like a "Chain Smoker" who insists it does you no harm.