Default How should i handle it?(molex to 6 pin) or (2pin to 6pin) Gpu issue

Hello everyone,
    so i have a gpu that i've been given from a friend it a Nvidia geforce gtx 470(512mb) and it uses 2 x 6 pin conectors. Though my psu has 1 x 8 pin that divides in 2 and 6 if needed so i wanted to ask, what is best to use a molex to 6 pin or a 2 pin to 6 pin converter and are they the same? Is any of them safer?

System Specs:
    PSU:Thernmaltake 450w
    Motherboard:Asus P5E
    CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66Ghz
    GPU:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb currently using (But i want to replace it with a Nvidia geforce gtx 470)
    RAM:4 x DDR2 - (8gb total - 2gb each stick)
    1 HHD- 500gb
    1 optical blue/ray disk

Feel free to ask me any questions.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by Kostas; 14-03-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: I accidently hit submit cause it's right next to preview... that's what i meant to do

Default Re: How should i handle it?(molex to 6 pin) or (2pin to 6pin) Gpu issue

if the Psu is that old & crappy , without the needed connectors, do you really want to use it ?

check the 12v 38A requirements
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...eforce-gtx-470

Otherwise , just but whatever adapter you need .

Hello 1101,
    according to the article minimum watt needed to run the gtx 470 seems to be 550w, which means that my psu is 100w short, should i just move to a better one? Will i damage my system trying to connect it with a conector?

Input your system specs into this calculator http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator to see if the PSU is enough, it's a rough guide but usually accurate enough.

I've never heard of a 2 pin to 6 pin adapter and wouldn't use one if they exist because that would be putting the whole load on 2 wires. The Molex to 6 Pin should be fine though.

It is a fairly small wattage PSU but to be fair back when the 470 was new I usually had a PSU of that size in my gaming Rigs and got away with it. These days though I'd recommend a quality 500W+ PSU for a single card gaming machine if possible, or at the very least the recommended wattage that calculator comes up with. Note it shows the actual expected load and then adds a safety margin for the recommended wattage.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

a few things
    some PSU lie (yes lie) about actual power rating . And its the 12v amp rating , not the total power rating that matters here
    some PSUs can blow if pushed too hard (unlikely though)
    some PSUs can take out the whole PC when they blow (again unlikely, but can happen)

If it was me , and I wanted that vid card for playing games, I would replace the power supply
    Otrherwise, unless you are really pushing that card , it should be OK.
    Should be OK if not gaming , but then why even install it unless for games :-)

as above, 38A is alot to go through a single thin wire (via adaptors)

Hello dugimodo,
    i did run a calculator the results said that a safety option would be a 500w psu and that the watt usage would be around 452w so i'm really thinking about if i should even try it now...

i think i agree with you (1101) it's probably safer to try a new psu,
    Thank a lot for thr time and the help given.

Bear in mind when shopping for PSU's that a modern card like a GTX 1050 will match the 470 for performance (pretty close actually) while using a small fraction of the power. A good quality PSU is always worth having but you could also just get the 1050. Also you've had a good run out of that machine I'm guessing but I wouldn't spend too much on it given it's age.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    according to the article minimum watt needed to run the gtx 470 seems to be 550w, which means that my psu is 100w short, should i just move to a better one?
    Hell yes.
    It won't hurt it, it just won't work. Probably boot up OK, but the minute you go 3d - like a game - it will complain and refuse.
    wipe your paws.