Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Default Re: For 50+ years I have voted Labour ... but no more !

Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    Too many people focus on what they are entitled to ...

For me (28y/o) retirement is a long way away and with current world economic / leadership situation there is no way in hell that I'm relying on them for my retirement. ...
    For a 28y/o, you will be paying for other peoples retirement for the next 30years, yet that will be pretty much gone by the time you retire.
    How can that ever be fair.

No one can say they didnt see this coming. No one has an excuse .
    This has been a known issue since the 70's , its simply easier to dish out more money in election bribes .

Honestly, for the next gen's coming up, they will get next to nothing , except a huge govt debt to pay off . Why should you have to pay for those who did
    nothing to save ?

Life isn't fair. My taxes are paying for a lot of things that are of no benefit to me. Part of living in a society. I just look at current generation as a lost cause and we need to focus on the next generation.

Life isn't fair. My taxes are paying for a lot of things that are of no benefit to me. Part of living in a society. I just look at current generation as a lost cause and we need to focus on the next generation.
    That should do it, a bit of focus.!
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    This is the generation that has to pay for tertiary education, struggles to afford a house and now has to wait longer for superannuation.
    TANSTAAFL

Tertiary education was never free.

Anything provided 'free' to the populace by our profligate-with-other-people's-money politicians is paid for by taxpayers.

And if I recall correctly, it was a Labour government that instituted student loans, making it far too easy for anyone to get a degree in kapa haka and rack up huge debts to pay off maybe someday.

It's always been a struggle to buy your first house - I arrived back in NZ without a dollar to my name in late 1985. By the end of 1986 I had saved $20K (by working my butt off and not having a life), and bought a two-bedder in a crappy neighbourhood and then the interest rates went through the roof - as high as 23%. Servicing that 100K mortgage was as hard as servicing a 450K mortgage is today with the rates where they are (nearly 5 times less!).

If you think there's going to be any superannuation left for anyone in 2037, you're dreaming. National Superannuation isn't paid out of some bucket where contributions have been stashed for years - it's paid from the current tax take, just like the dole is.

At least you've had a minimum of 20 years warning to make your own arrangements to support yourself in retirement. Maybe keep buying those Lotto tickets....

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Old guy

That is pretty much how I remember It all too Johcar. Nobody ever got ahead by sitting on their rear end and waiting for the rest of the world to pay for everything.

The biggest problem is the I want it now and I want the best syndrome the young have got.

I bought the crappiest house in a good street, it was unlivable but I did it up and made a profit, my trade helped but I still did virtually everything myself except the electrics. I have never owned a car younger than 10 years due to the depreciation making it not worthwhile. I bought my first and probably last new TV at the age of 47.

I can't see any one of the current generation making those sort of sacrifices to get ahead, oh and I worked 60 hour weeks in my twenties too as well as doing up my house, it nearly killed me but I got ahead and now I can sit back and reap those rewards that I worked for.

Life isn't fair. My taxes are paying for a lot of things that are of no benefit to me. Part of living in a society. I just look at current generation as a lost cause and we need to .
    Just trying to get my head around this, if the present generation are a lost cause, doesn't it follow that if they "breed", theirs' will also be a lost cause, or do they still bludge off who ?.

Lurking.

Ps. someone on here earlier blames the Labour Govt., but they were only following the USA Democrats and their vast loans to the under privileged e.g. African Americans, and boomb Fanny May result.

lurks.