Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Philips 42" Monitor

Last week I bought a new computer (NUC), along with a Philips 42" monitor..... I am running W10 . For some reason the icons on the desktop shift.... I place them all where I want them, and within a short time they have moved - I realised this morning that they are now positioning for a much smaller monitor so it seems that the computer is not recognising the size of this gadget.... any suggestions please?

TIA

Bryden

PS I have also moved over to Thunderbird.... I got tired of Windows Live Mail shutting down on me.... so far so good.... one thing is I cannot seem to choose formats I would like and have them stored, so I have to adjust every time I write another email....

BTW I love the new computer - so tiny.... my son's face was a study when he came home from work and looked for the computer - it is tucked under the monitor..... grin

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar
    FTW

Default Re: Philips 42" Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Bryden View Post
    For some reason the icons on the desktop shift.... I place them all where I want them, and within a short time they have moved - I realised this morning that they are now positioning for a much smaller monitor
    Untick AutoArrange Icons.
    wipe your paws.

Last week I bought a new computer (NUC), along with a Philips 42" monitor.....
    Was the NUC a Intel?
    They look very interesting but not cheap especially the higher spec'd ones

Guess for every day use and not gaming they would suit most who did not want a desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Was the NUC a Intel?
    They look very interesting but not cheap especially the higher spec'd ones

Guess for every day use and not gaming they would suit most who did not want a desktop
    you wouldn't use one for a gaming option, well not serious gaming, maybe online games.

But price wise, they are not really any more expensive than a std desktop PC, just priced out a NUC from my suppliers, i3, 4GB memory, 1TB drive under $700.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

See you can get replacement boards as they would be no diff to any other comp but more expensive considering the board comes complete with CPU

Desktop the board goes around $130/150,the NUC $300+ if you can get your particular model

I use one as a media PC in the lounge and if you are a Steam customer you can stream games to it, works really well and has no appreciable Lag. Great for full screen gaming on the Big TV Mines only an i3 and I play driving and fighting games on it with a wireless controller. It uses the horsepower of my gaming PC so all the NUC needs to do is provide the interface. They also come with a bracket to mount them to the back of the monitor but I find it inconvenient in practice.

As to the question at hand, maybe it's not detecting the monitor correctly on startup and setting the resolution low? that'd cause the icons to all rearrange to fit and they don't always move back when the resolution rights itself.
    I know for mine I need to make sure the monitor is on before I turn on the PC or it has no sound (I use the HDMI out via a receiver to the TV) but I haven't had the issues you mention.

Video drivers all installed correctly?, set to the native resolution of the screen ?
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

The icons probably get lost in that much real estate. Don't you have to sit about 10 feet back from a screen that size?

Thanks for your replies.... Untick Auto Arrange icons - where do I find that command please?

The NUC was $869 (PB Tech) it is Intel Core i7-6770HQ up to 3.5 GHz - 2 x DDR4
    SODIMM.2 x M.2 SSD slot. I don't want it for gaming.... The monitor was 999 and has USB etc. in the back. One of the USB ports on the NUC can be used for charging phones etc. I am running W10 Home - which was installed by PB Tech.

Thanks for your replies.... Untick Auto Arrange icons - where do I find that command please?
    In Win10, right click on the desktop, go to View, untick auto arrange icons.