Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spark ADSL+ v Wireless Broadband

I feel I am being pressured by Spark to ditch my existing broadband copper connection for a new Wireless Broadband setup.
    I have phones and ADSL terminals wired throughout the house, and a monitored alarm. The closest fibre is a street block away.
    Should I resist the change?
    Any suggestions please?
    Thanks, Peter.

Default Re: Spark ADSL+ v Wireless Broadband

Pressured?
    How? I never hear from Spark. I have ticked the don't email me thing. Is that what they are doing?

It's your choice, personally I am quite happy with my old school ADSL.
    wipe your paws.

First they sent a snail-mail letter, then a few weeks later a follow-up phone call. Then called again a couple of weeks later.

I changed over to Spark's Wireless 4G broadband a few months ago, from ADSL2, and I'm pleased with the improvement. Download is about four to five times faster, and upload speed is very nice too, about 10 - 15 Mb/s or so. They both vary through the day though, but are never bad (so far!).

My three corded "landline" phones work fine too, driven straight from the B315s modem supplied. They have lost dial tone a couple of times - the modem had to be re-booted to fix that.

The monitored alarm you have needs to be researched. Spark mentions them in their publicity on the subject, ISTR.

Monitored alarms on wireless do not work and if they did not reliable enough when dialling a number.

Only option is to talk to your alarm monitoring company for an install price for either a Radio or Ethernet module.

Make sure if you go down the wireless path that you have a UPS on the wireless modem so in a power outage the alarm will still have a connection. This may not be important to you but worth thinking about.

I have a friend who works in security alarms and Spark are installing wireless modems (in business and homes) without telling people the monitored alarm will need modules to make it work that cost $200-300. Plus maybe extra monitoring monthly charge.

Thank you all for your comments.
    Interesting to know the corded landline still works for you Rumpty.
    I have four corded phones on the same line (only one rings, by choice).
    I understand that if the power fails the phones will fail too.
    It seems a lot of extra unnecessary trouble and expence just to comply with Spark dictates.

Getting you off copper means Spark doesn't have to pay Chorus for the line. More profit for Spark.

A UPS (~$150) will sort out the 'phone doesn't work when the power is out' issue.

I've seen someone connect one of those Huawei modems directly into the phone wiring, snip the wire coming into the house at the demarc, and all their phones worked as per normal. I haven't actually tried this myself, and the general consensus seemed to be that the modem couldn't possibly put enough voltage out for the ringers on the old corded phones to work properly, but it does seem to...

I'd love to have one to play around with actually.

I've seen peak speeds around 70Mbit down, but actual sustained speeds are far, far less, I've seen a download (around 300Mb) coming down under 5Mbps, run a speedtest once the download is finished, and it's back up over 50Mbit. Seems to be very heavily traffic shaped.

Did you end up getting a solid answer on the monitored alarm?
    Last edited by wratterus; 10-02-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

"Huawei modems directly into the phone wiring, snip the wire coming into the house at the demark"

Seen this done many times with various modems and can only assume the Huawei should as well. I have just that here but using a Cisco ATA - plugged into a phone jack with the wire from street cut.

Last week I visited the local Spark shop and they posted a note against my connection info for their staff NOT to keep pestering me re the wireless option.
    This week a 'salesperson' from out of town came knocking on my door with a wireless modem under his arm.
    I told him I am happy to wait until fibre is installed in my street. I feel if I take the wireless option, fibre will never get to my door.

Could someone please explain more fully about "snipping the wiring" way of doing things?
    Thanks, Peter.