Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Photography Question

Have a person whose wanting a new Monitor for doing photography. (no gaming, as a gaming Monitor is not always a good photography Monitor).

Looking at a Minimum of 24" (probably bigger) and at Least IPS or 4K. This needs to be professional quality so no need for any budget purchases, as they wont cut it.

Colour calibration HAS to be good and accurate.

Been looking at google and there's a lot to select from, but most are overseas.

Anyone who does photography either professionally or very good quality -- can you please give some suggestions, makes models etc. ??

TA

Default Re: Photography Question

You could see if any of the recommendations from Tom's professional monitor comparison are available here
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...tors,4612.html

Not my area personally, I just recalled seeing that article.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I've got a Viewsonic VP2770 which works well for me. What I see on the screen, is what prints (through Photoshop). They should also consider calibration with something like a Datacolor Spyder (our Photographic Club has one that resides with me, and I/we lend it out for $5 a time - usually a week).

I don't use the Spyder - but I have Canon Print Studio Pro software that allows me to 'fiddle' the settings up/down as needed.
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Have a person whose wanting a new Monitor for doing photography. (no gaming, as a gaming Monitor is not always a good photography Monitor).

Anyone who does photography either professionally or very good quality -- can you please give some suggestions, makes models etc. ??

TA
    Well my dad was a photographer and used to muck about with it on his PC. He did get a new monitor, not 24", it was um, 22, and not any fancy brand. More skill on the part of the user perhaps?
    wipe your paws.

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Wainuitech - it is my absolute dream to give you some help, as you have been so incredibly helpful to me over the years. What you need is an IPS monitor which can be viewed from different angles to see much the same, rather than less at the wrong angle. A photographer really needs to have two monitors, the larger for viewing and editing the image The smaller for the program, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc, etc. Sounds expensive, not so!!! The smaller monitor, get cheap second hand. You need to show him/her how to set up and use two monitors. This person needs to consider buying a spider to calibrate the monitor at least every two months. I have a mate in Inverness, Scotland whose spider calibrates his monitor every time he logs on (sounds exotic to me, but apparently becoming more common). I will think further on this, as hopefully I can suggest more.
    Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 32 C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Just a further comment, Wainuitech, it has taken me quite some time to take on board that Dell tends to have very good monitors for photography. I had read some bad reviews of Dell (mainly delivery), but have, for some time, accepted that their monitors tend to be much better than average. You want to aim for a resolution of at least 1920 X1080, and preferably better.
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

PS - Out of interest, I have a 1920 X 1080 monitor, and am perfectly happy with it. I am A grade in the North Shore Photographic Society, still getting "Honours" images quite often. One can get carried away with perfection. Your client should decide what level of perfection she/he wants by the desire and size of their wallet. In the end, we all do that.
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

Thanks folks

Just waiting for the person to get back to me on the budget. She has made the comment that its costing her lots of $$$$$ to get her current monitor calibrated all the time. Shes got just about all the top photo software, but the original Monitor I supplied years ago is on its last legs.

I think one of those Spyder's will be a good idea in the long run. Found some online in NZ, the Price of them, in reality isn't much. The Express is only $268 NZ with the Pro being $378

Misty -- Yeah I think along the same lines, I've always thought the Dell Displays look good, A 3840x2160 would be nice as the larger /main display

All depends on her budget.

No doubt there will be more questions to follow -- As they say " stay tuned"

Your client should decide what level of perfection she/he wants by the desire and size of their wallet.
    Shes had her own photography business for quite a few years, so good equipment is a good idea.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 06-02-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Professional photographer could mean a person very good at what they do ............. or alternatively ............... ?? However, as she is a client of yours, Wainuitech, she must be the former! Feel certain that she will benefit from your input.
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

Looking at a Minimum of 24" (probably bigger) and at Least IPS or 4K. This needs to be professional quality so no need for any budget purchases, as they wont cut it.

Colour calibration HAS to be good and accurate.

Been looking at google and there's a lot to select from, but most are overseas.

TA
    Via my camera club, had a local (photography) colour technician come speak to us about calibration. His view was Dell Ultrasharp is one option, top of the list obviously is Eizo or one of the Nec Spectro (?) screens are quite good as well. Will also need a monitor calibration tool as well.

I have a Ultrasharp and a Spyder Express which is a cheaper one that doesn't do luminance ie you still have to manually adjust your screen's brightness down. IMO I think X-rite products are better for calibration (formerly called GMB GregtagMacBeth). Xrite Colormunki is one device that calibrates screen and paper profiles for printers. If you really want a nice calibrator they are the more expensive ones ie $1k and up kinda thing - photospectrometers. They are more accurate and sensitive and measures more colour patches when making up your profile.
    Last edited by Nomad; 06-02-2017 at 06:12 PM.